Preparing for a phone interview for a Network Engineer Position

toshinden5toshinden5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am glad I stumbled upon this forum. I want to introduce myself, I have currently about 2 years of IT Networking experience with a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering Technology and recently a CCNA Certification. I am currently employed working as a NOC 3rd shift, but looking to get out 3rd shift and start actually doing Networking stuff. I don't have any experience in firewalls, voip, and wireless but I do have some knowledge on how they work. I have a phone interview as a Network Engineer tomorrow and looking for some tips. Here is the job description:

This individual will act primarily as second level support for the IT Infrastructure Team. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years experience supporting, implementing, maintaining and troubleshooting various network systems that include: Cisco Routers, Cisco switches, ASA firewalls, Cisco VoIP, Cisco Wireless, Riverbed WAN Accelerators, Frame Relay, SCOM server monitoring, Solar winds Orion, CiscoSecure ACS, Windows 2003 and 2008 and daily device log reviews and proactive system patching, upgrade and replacement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Tier two support for all network services including but not limited to: Cisco Routers,
Cisco Switches, Cisco ASA firewalls, Cisco VoIP, Riverbed WAN Accelerators, WAN
circuits, CiscoSecure ACS, Cisco Clean Access, Windows 2003 and 2008, Windows print services, file services, Active Directory and DNS.
Understanding of network standards and practices including: OSI Model, TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, QoS and MPLs.
Understanding of Layer 1 and 2 protocols such as: T-1, DS3, Ethernet, Switching, VLAN*s, HSRP and STP.
Understanding of NTFS permissions, Active Directory, DNS and Group Policy.
Understanding of Change Management.
Work with peers to analyze network problems and identify solutions.
Ability to maintain up-to-date documentation of network systems, proficient with Visio.

JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
4 year degree
Background as an administrator in small to medium Cisco based LAN/WAN and
security.
Experience working with Windows 2003 and 2008.
Experience working in mid-size network operation centers or multi-site networks
Additional experience that is desired:
Current CCNA or equivalent experience in routing, switching and security.
Solarwinds Orion
MPLS
Riverbed Wan Acceleration
Familiar with OSPF and BGP
Cisco Clean Access
Cisco VoIP
Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
CommVault
VMware vSphere
NetApp
Red Hat
AIX

Any tips on what the phone interview will be like? Much appreciated!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    How did the phone interview go?
  • toshinden5toshinden5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All,

Phone interview went pretty well. We just talk about the job and my background. I told them I didn't have much real world experience with certain products, but mostly i am here to learn. Manager wanted me to come in for 2nd interview.

i went in for 2nd interview today, thought I did ok so and so. Manager said I did pretty good I answered my questions correctly and he likes my attitude.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Cool! Hopefully you get the job!
    Sweet! Looks like I pass the 2nd interview and they are wanting me to come in for a 3rd interview with the manager of HR and a senior IT manager. What should be expect!?
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    toshinden5 wrote: »
    Sweet! Looks like I pass the 2nd interview and they are wanting me to come in for a 3rd interview with the manager of HR and a senior IT manager. What should be expect!?

From my experience, once you pass the 1st and 2nd interview, the 3rd interview is generally less technical, and is more about how you would fit in with the team.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Also, be prepared that they might try to offer you on the spot.

Are you prepared for that?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    Also, be prepared that they might try to offer you on the spot.
    Yeah, if I were in the third round of an interview cycle I would be expecting to talk money. I actually bring up money casually in the first round if there is no salary range on the job description. There's no use wasting everybody's time with me interviewing for a job that I can't afford to take.
    I think I am prepared for the offer on the spot. During the initial phone interview, manager and i had a little talk about salary range and it was the range that we both wanted.
    Just recieved some information about this 3rd interview. Its actually with 3 different people VP of IT, director of IT, and HR manager at different times in one day. Should I be expecting normal interviewing questions?
    The higher you go up the executive chain the less techically-detailed the questions will be. For VP- and C-level people, you need to talk about how to stimulate business, stay ahead of their competition, keeping the good public reputation of the company, and increasing market share and shareholder value. In other words, talk about the things the high-level people care about in their daily job. Make them realize that you understand what their concerns are in the organization.

HR is for filling out paperwork, starting your background investigation, etc.
    New update guys, just finished the 3rd interview today. Not what I expected, but I think I did pretty well. Now I am waiting quietly ! so nervous !
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Another update! : The 3rd interview went well, they just wanted to see who am i and my background and what I know about the company. I also asked them questions that relates to the position and company. Looks like I am in! Just received an email stating they want me. I filled out the application and background consent form and forwarded to them, but still waiting for the official offer letter. Any ideas guys? I usually get the offer first then they would do background check and what not.
  • GimmynoGimmyno Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats for your new job toshinden5!!

All the best!
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Wow congrats! Inspirational indeed!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any ideas guys? I usually get the offer first then they would do background check and what not.

I would imagine you get your offer sometime in the next week.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Patience grasshopper!

Nice job!
    It sounds like you've made it past the interview phase and now you are in the administrative phase. Early congratulations are in order! icon_cheers.gif

After you sign the offer the background check, polygraph, psych exams, etc. will proceed. icon_wink.gif
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
    4 year degree
    Background as an administrator in small to medium Cisco based LAN/WAN and
    security.
    Experience working with Windows 2003 and 2008.
    Experience working in mid-size network operation centers or multi-site networks
    Additional experience that is desired:
    Current CCNA or equivalent experience in routing, switching and security.
    Solarwinds Orion
    MPLS
    Riverbed Wan Acceleration
    Familiar with OSPF and BGP
    Cisco Clean Access
    Cisco VoIP
    Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
    CommVault
    VMware vSphere
    NetApp
    Red Hat
    AIX

I want to know how much do they actually want you to know. Cisco, VMware, Windows, Red Hat, SCOM. They want you to know storage, networking, virtualization...actually they want you to know just about each and every aspect of their IT department. I see jobs that ask for everything, but the reality is that they want you to only work on 1 or 2 specific products.
    Received a call today about my background and that they found a ding. The ding was an indentify theft that I thought It was taken care of never had any issues. I was called in to talk to a CBI agent about this indentify theft that they have found and believe was taken care of. Not sure whats going on now, but its been so long since i remember who/where the CBI agent that had helped me. Any ideas?

edit: i found the building where i met with a CBI agent, looks like im coming in there tomorrow to get documentation hopefully i am able to.
    Was able to provide documentation. Looks like things are going the right way, any ideas how long official offer take after background check?
    Through all the hard work and interviews.... I finally landed the job i wanted!!!! I start in 2 weeks, thanks to all you guys who commented this thread! I am super excitd!!
    icon_cheers.gif Congratz! What a great feeling, eh? icon_cheers.gif
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Through all the hard work and interviews.... I finally landed the job i wanted!!!! I start in 2 weeks, thanks to all you guys who commented this thread! I am super excitd!!

Awesome news buddy! It is such a wonderful feeling, and the amount of weight it takes off your shoulders is tremendous. Now it's time for a small celebration...which reminds me, I need to have one too :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"