Overcoming information overload

kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I'm new here to the forum. This is my first post, but I've been reading the big threads all day today, and I'm really glad I found this forum.

My big question here is how to overcome information overload, and strategies you take to not get distracted.

I will start with a proper introduction paragraph below, since this is my first post, and I hope it will help give you guys an idea of where I am.

+
| Intro
+
I have been a Linux systems administrator for the past 6 years. I started off working at a very busy NOC in Downtown, Los Angeles, as a Junior Sys Admin, pulling the night shift mostly. My roles included:
- Building servers (1Us, 2Us, etc) for new orders
- Upgrading/troubleshooting hardware issues
- Doing initial configuration and rackmounting cisco switches (2950's)
- Reboots, and troubleshooting network connectivity, etc...

I then worked for a software company, where I managed the in-house network, and managed ~30 remote Linux boxes (version control, apache, security, etc).

I have dropped out of the work industry, and have set a goal for myself currently to go back to school and to also certify. So at this time, I am a part-time student completing my associates degree at a community college around here, and working on my Cisco certifications, to move into the networking industry professionally.
+
| END: Intro
+

So ~2 months ago, I grabbed the INE AAP, and begun w/ the ICND1 and ICND2 videos, which I just completed. I bought ~$500 worth of used Cisco books (most of them are the recommendations that most CCIEs give).

I'm moving fast, but at the same time I'm standing still. icon_sad.gif

I feel like I'm already prepared to dive in and begin with all the CCIE related material (videos in AAP, books, etc.). However, I don't even have my CCNA nailed down just yet.

At this time, I feel a bit lost, since I've done so much research online for the past two months, and I am aiming for my CCIE, but I don't know where to begin.

Any advice on getting me focused back, and where I should begin? Maybe I just need someone to give me the obvious information, or just slap some sense into me.

Thanks guys, and I hope to get to know you all better!

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'll be honest with you.

What you are attempting is truly rare.

I heard of one person doing it before, though, dropping out of work, and staying holed up in his house for a year, working at his CCIE.

However, the forums at certcities.com appear to be down at this time, so I can't link you to that story.

I don't want to be the voice of discouragement, but moreso the voice of reason.

While it is entirely possible to go straight for the CCIE, it would appear wiser that you get some of the lower ones under your belt first. From looking at the success posts on here, that's what they did, and used them as stepping stones.

I don't want to quench your spirit, but I want to turn down the dial on the fire, before you burn up all your fuel.

Post for help in the forums, and we'll be ready to assist.

But, I wouldn't advise seriously going after the 'IE unless you actually possessed the NP level knowledge as a base to start from.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I would not recommend you do this for a couple of reasons.

You don't seem very heavy in networking (job wise) right now and I do understand you want this for a career move. However being a CCIE without the experience to back it up is kind of silly to me. You might find a job but not with the pay you would expect and not at the big time players.

Going straight for the CCIE you will miss a lot of the foundation that you get in CCNP. I study to try to become a better and more knowledgable engineer and that's why I'm not rushing anything. You will have difficulty retaining this much information and you need a job where you work with this stuff to keep the information fresh.

If you really really want to do it you will probably need roughly a year full time studying to pass both written and lab. You need to make a study schedule and stick to it.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I recommend you nail CCNA > CCNP > CCIP then CCIE.

I see that your not really working 100% in networking field. You need to learn the foundation first or you wont understand what CCNP and CCIP are talking about. What more if you go to the CCIE, you will be lost.
  • kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

I hear what you guys are saying, that's why I've started with the ICND1 and ICND2 videos.

It is true that I don't have the professional networking experience one would have when working towards the CCIE, however, I feel very capable. Originally, what I was trying to state in my post is that, I am fully capable of reading any of the documentation that is online aimed towards a CCIE, and able to understand it. However, at the same time, I would probably get a really big FAIL on my CCNA.

You guys definitely validated my plan, of going for the CCNA, then the CCNP and finally the CCIE. I also understand, that this could take me a very long time. I'm not in a major rush, at all. At this time, I left the Professional/working industry to become a full time academic. Who know's maybe I won't work as a Network Engineer, and could become a CCIE tutor :) I hope you get what I'm saying here. I just truly like the concepts and especially the challenge that lies behind the CCIE certification path. And I'm just going for it, full charge.

So far, I've got the INE AAP, Lotsa Books, some downloadable workbooks, a GNS3 server I just finished building, and 2 2950 switches. I'm slowly investing what I've saved up towards more equipment, after doing more research on some of the posts here about good equipment.

Thanks!
    :D
    Out of curiosity, is anyone here going after a CCIE, that has not had any professional experience in a large environment with Cisco equipment?
  • CCNP11CCNP11 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Truth in Advertising- I'm not a CCIE and have not officially started that course yet. I am, however, an experienced net admin and can tell you that experience and familiarity with CLI troubleshooting will be essential to passing the CCIE lab. It's not something you can test-**** or fake and you have to be FAST. I've been looking at CCIE since I first got into networking seriously, after coming out of a Winblows/Linux sys admin background, and I can tell you that even the lower level certs like CCNP aren't a joke, but IE is levels and levels above that.

I read a great comparison the other day, can't remember where though, that offered the thought that the CCIE is the toughest professional test in the world. (I'm doing this from memory so my numbers are ballpark) The pass rate for the bar is around 45% overall, the CPA (what many people think is the toughest test in the professional world) around 35%, and the CCIE pass rate is a mere 28% overall.

I think it's fair to say that unless you have eidetic memory and an ability to use that memory for troubleshooting, you are FAR better off getting the experience and lower level certs.

I know three guys who have each sat for the lab, guys whose networking knowledge and experience make me look like a total n00b, and none of them have a number yet. The written is tough, but the lab is BRUTAL. I've read stories of people taking the lab 5-6 times and still not passing.

I currently hold 3 Cisco certs- CCNA, CCNA-Security, and CCNP and I know I'm not ready to start to read for CCIE. I am going to complete CCDP, CCNP-Security, and CCIP before I officially start my journey to the top of the mountain and all of these I just see as preparation for that huge achievement.

Like others have said, I would put the goal of CCIE out into the future a ways. I'm still thinking it might be 18-24 months before I really commit to actually studying *for* CCIE and I'm already certified and have several years of hands-on experience.

Get your lower level certs, get some experience(!!), and work your way up. I don't think your quest for CCIE will be successful any other way unless you are exceptionally gifted.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    kerx wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is anyone here going after a CCIE, that has not had any professional experience in a large environment with Cisco equipment?

I work for a service provider knee deep in Cisco equipment 40 hours per week....been doing it 3 months now and I might feel qualified to begin studying for the IE after getting my NP and doing this job for another 3 - 5 years.

It's always motivating to see any posts from the techexams prospective CCIEs. I love seeing their blogs and how/what they are studying.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I recommend you nail CCNA > CCNP > CCIP then CCIE.

I see that your not really working 100% in networking field. You need to learn the foundation first or you wont understand what CCNP and CCIP are talking about. What more if you go to the CCIE, you will be lost.

+1, I just makes sense that while you are studying for the CCIE to pick up all the lower level certs as well. You will thank yourself in the end for doing so.

Either way, good luck, it can be done!
    +1, I just makes sense that while you are studying for the CCIE to pick up all the lower level certs as well. You will thank yourself in the end for doing so.

Either way, good luck, it can be done!

Bowler, thanks for your motivation. I just won your complete 2 CD pack of your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE training material. Looking forward to your training materials!
  • tinu_karkitinu_karki Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kerx wrote: »
    Bowler, thanks for your motivation. I just won your complete 2 CD pack of your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE training material. Looking forward to your training materials!

Dont mean to discourage you but I cant seeing any one employing a CCIE without any prior industry experience. By all means go for your CCNA and begin your CCNP and then actively start looking for a networking role. There is no point getting a CCIE (which in itself will be difficult without exp) and then finding no one will emply you in a high end network role that most CCIE's work in.
  • froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get a job in networking first then worry about CCIE. U need experience, experience weighs more than IE and if you have both then you are more marketable.
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. You guys really validated some of the thoughts I had.

So my plan is pretty much to go through the process of NA -> NP -> IP -> (2-4 years of Work Experience while studying for CCIE R&S) -> R&S

NOTE: Just in-case you are interested to follow my progress of my NA and NP, I've opened a thread in the CCNP section of the forum. Here is the link (http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69122-kerxs-ccnp-journey-overcoming-bipolar-add-achieve-np-greatness.html)
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    I agree with everyone here stating that experience + CCNA > CCNP (then CCIP if you want) is the way to go but disagree with some of the points...

You can start reading CCIE texts at any point in your journey. You'll get a lot more out of it if you've at least passed the CCNA but the material is not hard to understand if you break it down into small chunks. You don't need to understand complicated mathmatics, theoretical physics or have an electrical engineering background to learn the material (but I'm sure it probably helps : ).

What makes the CCIE difficult and why there is such a high failure rate is that there is a <censored>load of material to learn. When you do learn this material you then have to understand how it all interacts. There is almost infinite ways that all the technology can be put together and a real CCIE has to know the nuances of each tech to know how it *should* interact, and be able to troubleshoot quickly if it's not interacting the way it should. That's the real killer and there's no shortcut for this, labbing a truckload is the only real way to understand how everything works.

So when you are studying for the other exams, there's no harm in cracking open TCP/IP vol1 to get a better understanding of the IGPs for example.

IMO
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Listen to froggy. He is the CCIE. lol