Options

So I have a lab...

lordxarlordxar Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Where can I get things to do with it? I know the MS Press books have exercises, but they are guided. I want Cisco style "here are your requirements, do it" type labs. I think I'd learn a lot more doing some thinking rather than following directions, but I just don't have the imagination to create things out of the blue. Best way to put it, I want things like my employer will give me, a set of specs that detail how it should end up, but leave me to figure how to get there.

Edit: forgot to mention, am working on the 70-640, but any info would be helpful since this exam covers so many areas. Also, I've looked at the Test Lab guides at Technet, but again, they walk you through everything.

Comments

• Options
    humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First, do you have a TechNet subscription or MSDNAA access? That's almost a requirement to do what you're looking to do. It'll give you all of the clients and servers that you'll need.

I did a quick search for "sample network diagram" and the results may be what you're looking for. Just check out some of the pictures and try to build the same network - instructions not included.

OR, are you looking for a set of final guidelines, as if you're being contracted to build a network? (network has xxx server, 2 xxx servers, 15 clients, remote access, etc)
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • Options
    humdingy02 wrote: »
    First, do you have a TechNet subscription or MSDNAA access? That's almost a requirement to do what you're looking to do. It'll give you all of the clients and servers that you'll need.

I did a quick search for "sample network diagram" and the results may be what you're looking for. Just check out some of the pictures and try to build the same network - instructions not included.

OR, are you looking for a set of final guidelines, as if you're being contracted to build a network? (network has xxx server, 2 xxx servers, 15 clients, remote access, etc)

I do have Technet, and I also think it is a requirement for this. This is probably the best dollars I've spent so far.

Final guidelines/what you would do in a production environment is what I'm after. Here's the problem, when I read the books I have all kinds of ideas to implement, but when I sit at the actual lab, I kind of poke around a bit and quit. It's not lack of interest, it's just lack of direction/goal. I think the Microsoft books offer great labs, but they completely walk you through it; so that gets old quick since there isn't much thought in it. The test lab guides kind of head that direction, but still walk you through it. Would be nice to find something (paid or free) that gives criteria and maybe even some things to test to ensure you set things up correctly.

Simplified example: Setup dns server at x address, connect client, if it pings dns server your done. Obviously I'm looking for more complex things than this, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I would recommend doing things like this:

1. Create a DC using the gui wizard.
    2. Create a DC using an Answer File.
    3. Create a Server Core DC using an Answer File.

Try things like that. Think of all the different ways you can install a role, and perform those actions until you can do it without thinking. Rinse and repeat for other roles on full and server core.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The MOC books sometimes have scenarios like that in them but they are not generally very elaborate.

I would suggest this: try to build a solution as close to the real world as possible for whatever techology you are working on and test it. For example if you are learning about AD and DNS don't just ping but actually set up a service that would use these other services such as Exchange or SharePoint. Ping is one thing but if you set up 3 servers, one that is a generic DNS and the other two have their own AD - all on different subnets - and you can get Exchange to route mail then you can be sure you have a good handle on DNS. SharePoint is excellent to do a cross-forest trust with Kerberos and DNS... The problem with this method is that it can take a long time deppending on how well you already understand the basic technology you are trying to learn such as DNS or Kerberos.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Time isn't too much of an issue. Just have to take the 640 with another retry by years end. Failed it twice so far, just trying to pick up the pieces and get the @$%$ thing passed. What really killed me was CS on the first test and R2 + PowerShell on the second.

Before I take this a third time I want to lab more and get things down pat. I decided to tackle this test by each of the 6 objectives instead of randomly studying all of it at once. I guess the labbing isn't really that hard, it's just taking the time and effort to do it. The bad thing is repetition, some things are so involved you feel wrung out just getting it done once, much less scrapping it and doing it again.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The MS Press books also have a Suggested Practices section at the end of each chapter which I found useful. After just missing on the first go, I went back and created two forests and ran through these, and I was able to pass the 640 on my second try.