changing Host names

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys

I have 2 servers that I want to change the name in the infrastructure client screen and I want the name of these servers changed as well to match. What things will not change dynamically when I rename both?
and any things I should look for to make sure to change?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To start off, what do these servers do? You cant just go about changing server names, if these servers are app servers, the apps on client computers will stop working. if these servers are DNS servers (they'll probably be DC's too then), name resolution will stop working. I'd suggest not changing server names if you can avoid it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you are asking how to rename two virtual machines. Renaming a virtual machine will NOT rename the Windows or Linux hostname. You will still need to rename them in Windows or Linux. I cannot think of any negative impact of renaming a virtual machine within VMware. You still have to worry about possible issues brought up by Essendon with renaming a Windows or Linux server. Hope this helps.
    itdaddy wrote: »
    hey guys

I have 2 servers that I want to change the name in the infrastructure client screen and I want the name of these servers changed as well to match. What things will not change dynamically when I rename both?
    and any things I should look for to make sure to change?
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they are not DNS or DCs. they are what is called gateway servers only.
    I guess I need to be more specific. In the Iclient when I change the name it doesn't (I am assuming) change the name in the datastore for the vmdk files right? can I change the names so they match all around or does the vmware change them all when I change the iclient name of the host?
    I am sure it doesn't and wanted to know is there anything I should be aware of when changing the server name on the server and changing/renaming the server in the vmware iclient? I want the datastore name to be the new name as well? and want to make sure I dont funk them out. The reason I am changing these names is because the previous IT Manager name them something stupid that doesnt even match what they do or how we reference them..the new names are awesome compare to the current stupid name ( I know a-nal but that is me)

I can always put it back but wanted to get some of your guy's expertise first. thanks guys...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you change the name in the client then correct, it won't change the vmdks and it is quite a hassle to do this manually and you likely break the chain. However, once you renamed the VM in the client, perform a storage vmotion, this will rename the underlying files automatically.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here the manual way btw.
    VMware KB: Renaming a virtual machine disk (VMDK) via the vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) or vSphere CLI (vCLI)

ps: sorry for double posting but the mobile client doesn't seem to allow editing of posts.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    freaking sweet dude thanks so much this way I can change their names
    their current names reminds me of my old boss-Not good!
    hahaha lol thank you so much for your help..icon_cheers.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    itdaddy wrote: »
    their current names reminds me of my old boss-Not good!

Priceless. If I had the same situation I would just blow away the servers and blame some virus or something. LOL!
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Clone them with new suitable names and delete the old instances?

There will need to be some downtime as you cut-over though.
    cyberguypr
    hahahahhhahaa lOL hahaah I laughed so hard man but this guy was a piece of work man! really....and blowing them up or saying a virus did it has crossed my mind...haaha LOL hahaha thanksicon_cheers.gif
    Fugazi1000

sounds good but delete their reference from the I client? but they will still remain in the datastore won't they? or when you clone you can get rid of the original altogether? really. I have never cloned on a vmware server and wasn't sure if you could get rid of the original copy but you can huhu?

so clone them with the new name and then remove the old original from both the inventory and the datastore and there is no tie between the clone and the original copy? this would be way cool and sure downtime is fine...

I can try this but wanted to make sure it was logical and feasible icon_study.gif