Passed 701 and 702.

Wolv241Wolv241 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I just joined the site and find that it would have been amazingly helpful to be here before I took the tests. I have passed both exams and now am shooting to take the network+ as soon as I finish the Exam Prep book. I'm currently unemployed and have decided to start looking for a help desk/desktop support job. My question is, how much difference would having the network+ certification be on my resume and how much will it affect my chances of landing a job? Also, am I looking in the right direction as far as position goes after passing the A+'s? Lots of sites I have found suggest an A+ is hardly entry level and won't land me a job. I'm almost finished with my A.S. degree also, have worked doing side-job computer repairs but not a "real" computer-related job. I starting to get desperate to be employed though. Any input would help....Thanks and I apologize for dragging on. :)

-Wolv

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    First of all, congrats on the pass! Big accomplishment, getting that first cert knocked out. When is your projected graduation date? I only ask because the degree should make it a bit easier to find a job. I like that you're studying for the Network+ right away; some people on here will tell you that the Network+ is a waste of time, but I honestly did notice that I was getting more callbacks once that was on my resume. After Network+, the typical progression is to either go for Security+ or go ahead and split off and do a Cisco (CCENT) or Microsoft (typically 70-680) exam. I personally went with CCENT after Network+, which helped me get my new job.

Certs aside, you should look at any type of entry-level work you can find; it's all good experience. Even some contract gigs would be good. Look at the job requirements for a typical helpdesk position in your area, and try to mold your skillset to appeal to those employers. Chin up; the hardest part is landing the first job.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!

Unless you have some networking experience, you will definitely need to study for the Network +.
    I think bigmantenor's advice is pretty good, and would follow down that route. May be good to try both the CCENT and the Windows 7 exam, to see which one you like more and follow that path!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    say if i go to a temp agency with just a a+ looking for work , would you not beleve that you could get a job somewhere ? yes, it would be temp. but that way you would be out in the field getting a work out.
  • Wolv241Wolv241 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I've taken 2 networking classes and I'm reading the prep book, so i'm hoping I can pass the network+. I've signed up for a CCNA course at my college along with a Telecom course, I think I might end up heading the networking route career-wise. I hadn't heard of a CCENT before, everyone always mentions the CCNA. Thanks for letting me know about it, I'm reading further into taking it.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

CONGRATZ Wolv241!!!!icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • galedgaled Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, best of luck with your studies.
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

Net+ is a natural choice for continuation of your certification path, and wish you all success.
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Wolv241 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I've taken 2 networking classes and I'm reading the prep book, so i'm hoping I can pass the network+. I've signed up for a CCNA course at my college along with a Telecom course, I think I might end up heading the networking route career-wise. I hadn't heard of a CCENT before, everyone always mentions the CCNA. Thanks for letting me know about it, I'm reading further into taking it.
    Doing the 2 test route (ICND1/ICND2) to get your CCNA would be what most would suggest with no Cisco experience. CCENT is a nice intro into Cisco, while the ICND2 is a harder test. Good luck!