Convert vhd file to vmdk?

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Awright gents, how do I make a vhd file to work with ESXi? Some folks say use VMware Converter, so before I waste more bandwidth can someone please advise if Converter does a fine job of converting vhd to vmdk?

Thank you.

Okay I used Starwind V2V Converter and it appears to have converted the file, but the size of the file has grown from 9GB to 127GB! The original file was an expandable vhd file and the new file is 127GB. Anyone know of a better way?

Update: The resultant vmdk I got off Starwind was a bum. I created a new VM, attached the vmdk file to it and I get the BSOD with some fatal errors. Bummer!

Can someone please suggest a working way of converting from vhd to vmdk?
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Awright gents, how do I make a vhd file to work with ESXi? Some folks say use VMware Converter, so before I waste more bandwidth can someone please advise if Converter does a fine job of converting vhd to vmdk?

While I am far from an expert with VMWare, my first thought was to use the converter for P to V (so that's my vote).
    I did it for a couple old 2k3 servers at work and it went fine. I don't know how it would work going from VHD though. Personally, I would make a backup of the VHD and go for it, but I tend to dive head first into problems and projects. =)
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I just tried VMware's vConverter and it doesnt recognize vhd files, I think I'll have to open the vhd in VirtualPC and somehow save the image and have that image converted to vmdk using vConverter. PITA.

I am thinking of just blatting my ESXi server, install Hyper-v on it and have no issues with accessing the vhd.

Anyone have other suggestions before I pop that Windows Server 2008 R2 disk in and use Hyper-v?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any other options to boot from that VHD? Virtual PC, your Windows 7 workstation etc.? If you could get into the VHD VM then you could use the VMware converter from inside windows, converting the local station if that makes sense.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Its a long shot and I've never attempted this myself, but try using Xenconvert to change it to an OVF format and then use VMware Converter to go from OVF to a VMDK.

I'd be interested to know if this works..

Thanks,
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »

I've tried with VMware converted numerous times. I was finally able to make it create the file, but then my vmware workstation saw it as corrupted. I finally gave up and just used the vhd inside of virtual pc.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for taking the time to reply gents. I ended up blatting my ESXi server and am installing Hyper-v Server 2008 R2. Looked like I was getting sidetracked from what I intended to do, couldnt waste any more time and I popped the Hyper-v disk in. Thanks once again!

Burned half the brain cells in my brain trying to remotely manage my Hyper-v server before I found the following website:

Screencast: How to Manage Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 Remotely from Windows Vista – Workgroup Scenario. Step-by-Step Video Tutorial.

Works like a charm. Thought I'd let everyone know.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• soheibsoheib Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Read this article which will help to do the conversion from vdh to vmdk virtual disk and vies vers:
    Convert VMDK to VHD

Thanks