Options

Failed 70-662 Configuring Exam today

garrykinggarryking Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

This is my first on this forum. I actually took this 70-662 test this afternoon and failed. Scored just 600 out of 1000.icon_sad.gif

I didn't relied very much on the books as I find it boring compared to videos. Having said that I read few chapters from Exchange Inside Out book by Tony Redmond. I thouroughly followed Trainsignal and CBTNuggets video tutorials especially important features like Federated trust and DAG. I also followed several cmdlets and practised some cmdlets at my work too. I have pretty good GUI experience with Exchange 2007 and some with 2010. I didn't setup any lab environment for this exam.

I found multiple answer questions to be tricky. Especially there were atleast 6 questions out of 50 that had 10 options to select answer from. There were atleast 5 questions that asked about what EMS cmdlet you would run to perform this. <REMOVED>
Not really sure where I went wrong with exam preparation. Perhaps I took exam bit early.

Please advise how to prepare for re-test and also what should I have done for better preparation.icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome to TechExams Garryking. I'm sorry that you did not pass the exam but it now seems that you already know where you went wrong. Having taken dozens of MS exams over the years, I can tell you that using videos only/mostly is at best a 70 percent study solution. Depending on the presenter, they are maybe only a 60 percent solution. Microsoft demands that only their current solution is the correct one, even if a previous solution will work. Therefore unless your videos are current then they are only partial solutions.

Not reading a detailed book, boring or not, hurt your chances. Using the Trainsignal videos, not building their recommended lab and actually doing the setup; working through the scenarios, hurt you more. There is a saying about learning quoted by many but I believe Confucius gets the credit... "I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand" The understanding and exam passing is in the doing my friend. Microsoft publishes exactly what you will be tested on and it is generally accurate. For your exam it is at
    TS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuring

One word of advice on your third paragraph. The number of lurkers on TE is huge and there are Microsoft representives as well as other companies reps that follow the site. It is considered by many, myself included, to be the best general cert site there is on the net. Your third paragraph comes extremely close to violating the e-non-disclosure that you signed when you took your exam. Never talk about exam specifics; we members frown on that as it affects the sites reputation.

Good luck on your studies and your re-test.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am actually working on a study guide for this right now, but it will be available for sale... It is going to be geared specifically for passing the exam and then there will be some free videos also that will go beyond the exam.

This is a tricky exam and it has been updated to SP1 but the materials are trailing. Take a look on Google for TechEd 2011 and you will find some videos on Exchange Online that should help you.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    garrykinggarryking Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Welcome to TechExams Garryking. I'm sorry that you did not pass the exam but it now seems that you already know where you went wrong. Having taken dozens of MS exams over the years, I can tell you that using videos only/mostly is at best a 70 percent study solution. Depending on the presenter, they are maybe only a 60 percent solution. Microsoft demands that only their current solution is the correct one, even if a previous solution will work. Therefore unless your videos are current then they are only partial solutions.

Not reading a detailed book, boring or not, hurt your chances. Using the Trainsignal videos, not building their recommended lab and actually doing the setup; working through the scenarios, hurt you more. There is a saying about learning quoted by many but I believe Confucius gets the credit... "I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand" The understanding and exam passing is in the doing my friend. Microsoft publishes exactly what you will be tested on and it is generally accurate. For your exam it is at
    TS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuring

One word of advice on your third paragraph. The number of lurkers on TE is huge and there are Microsoft representives as well as other companies reps that follow the site. It is considered by many, myself included, to be the best general cert site there is on the net. Your third paragraph comes extremely close to violating the e-non-disclosure that you signed when you took your exam. Never talk about exam specifics; we members frown on that as it affects the sites reputation.

Good luck on your studies and your re-test.

Apologies, TheShadow if I have broken rules as I wasn't aware. Thanks for your feedback. The particular reason for not going through book is that I had soft copy of the book. I am paticularly more comfortable with reading hard copy as you don't need to be in front of the computer.

Anyway, its a lesson learned hard way. As long as we humans learn from the mistakes its half battle won.:)