Switching techniques

vicbersongvicbersong Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI everyone. Thanks 2 all for ur continous support. I'd like to be given a detail information about the various kind of swicthing techniques available i.e the circuit, message and packet switching techniques. I dont seam to really get the gist here. Thank you all.

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Here is a rundown on switching methods-

Packet switching - Ethernet is a Packet switched network, also Frame relay, X.25, as the name implies, it is the switching of packets.

Message switching - This is another name for store-and-forward method used on a layer 2 switch, the switchport recieves the entire frame, holds it in its buffer, and forwards the frame to the destination.

Circuit switching - ISDN and POTS use this swithing method, circuits are established, torn down, established, etc

Cell switching - This is ATM, ATM uses cells instead of frames.

Note that I highlighted message switching, this is a term that descibes the physical operation of a LAN (perhaps a wan switch, not sure)device, where as the rest describe a logical operation of a WAN connection type.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p