Thrillers: what's your taste?

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
I thought it would be good to see what books and authors folks prefer on this forum.

What are the books you plan on reading? What are the authors you like? How many books do you average a week?

As a thriller-addict, I read at least one novel a week and probably three when I'm not that busy.

I've read most of Mario Puzo's books (I still think he's unbeatable).

I've read all of Grisham's (the pelican brief and the partner were the best).

Dan Brown has done a great job with all his books except Deception Point (actually I found that one very lousy). The Da Vinci code and Angels & Demons is superb. Superb!!!! Anybody who hasn't read it should get it and read it.

Tom Clancy’s Red October is also a great book even though a person who’s doing some military stuff would probably find it exceptional. His NetForce series are just a waste of paper if you ask me.

I plan on getting Omerta by Puzo this week..(after I finish reading the Concrete Blonde icon_lol.gif )

More laterz…
2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I wish I spent more time reading...oh wait I do. My favorite horror stories are currently the M$ Press books. J/k...seriously, I say Steven King is the greatest. Although, Dean Koontz is a creepy too......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I am reading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series, they are all very excellent, if you like LOTR type stories.

-Brian
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Thriller book series...

Barry Eisler!!!!

(American Titles)
    "Rain Fall"
    "Hard Rain"
    "Rain Storm"
    "Killing Rain"

Published globally! Awesome storyline. Two more books in the future (next year should see #5). The books DO NOT need to be read in order - each story stands on its own....although since John Rain is the main character, it is fun to read them in order!!

Technology
    Martial Arts
    Survelience
    AWESOME Reading!!!

AND, you can write to him at his website and receive a response from him directly. If he is on the road, it may be a small delay, but he does answer his own mail :)

I met him this summer at a book signing! He is very interesting and I highly recommend his books (you may even tell him I told you :) ).

His 3rd book "Rain Storm" won the Gumshoe award and beat out Dean Koontz.
    Barry Eisler - Rain Storm (Putnam)

The Nominees:

Dean Koontz - Life Expectancy (Bantam)
    Alan Furst - Dark Voyage (Random House)
    Daniel Silva - A Death in Vienna (Putnam)
    Robert Ferrigno - The Wake-Up (Pantheon)

icon_study.gificon_cheers.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read the Wheel of Time series as well as the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Those are both Fantasy series. I also read SciFi. I enjoyed the Dune series by Frank Herbert, The Space Odyssey & Rama series by Arthur C Clarke, and Asimov's books.

I recently read a series by Elizabeth Haydon and I am waiting for Robert Jordan's latest book.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    I still love Fantasy books -

My fav will always be Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman DragonLance series trilogy.

The current books Im reading are George R.R Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series. Really good.

Other from fantasy... I read a lot of NLP and Anthony Robbins.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dan Brown has done a great job with all his books except Deception Point (actually I found that one very lousy). The Da Vinci code and Angels & Demons is superb. Superb!!!! Anybody who hasn't read it should get it and read it.

I hardly read novels, but these two i loved. I am not much of a reader, but these books i had to finish. Cant wait for the movie coming soon!
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    My favorite thriller book right now is....

CCNP Self-Study: Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI), 2nd Edition

Its really scary, you should check it out icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I can't seem to pull my head out of technology books long enough to read anything else. If I do, it is ususally a military based book....Last one I read was "Bravo Two Zero"...for a second time....and "Charlie Rangers"..another great book.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I can't seem to pull my head out of technology books long enough to read anything else

I agree totally!! When I do have time to read I enjoy reading end-time thrillers like the Left Behind series as well as the end-time military series by Mel Odom. There is also an end-time political series I've started to read! What's great about these two series is they run parallel with the Left Behind series so if you've read the LB series you'll meet up with some characters and events. It I stay on my schedule I'll be able to start reading again in Janurary! icon_wink.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Same here, though I do think I should take the time for it.

We have some of the books mentioned in this thread here at home (i.e DaVinci code), and books from other good writers (Anne Rice, Donna Tart, Nicci French) but I haven't read any of those, yet. I just don't have (=make) the time for it. The last thriller I read, about 5 years ago, was from Mo Hayder, something like 'the Birdman'. One of my favorites is 'Het Gouden Ei' (the golden egg) from Tim Krabbe. They made a movie of it twice, the first was Dutch and called Spoorloos ("Vanished") the second US version in 1993 called The Vanishing. As in most cases, the book is much better than the movies.
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I'm into novels too or atleast used too untill i started reading Dummies N+ which was awesome too.

I enjoyed the classics and agree with you about Mario Puzzo's writting skills. "The God father" was the first thriller i ever read followed by "The Day of the Jackal".

My favourite author is definately Robert Ludlum. Favourite titles were Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy. Better than James Bond icon_lol.gif

I have read quite a few titles by Grisham and found them interesting too.

Eric Lustbader is also another great author. I really like his "Ninja series" but Microsoft Press and Sybex are taking up all the room.

Currently i'm stealing a few minutes off studies to read "The traitor".
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Try reading some of the Mitnick books (The Art of Deception, The Art of Intrusion), and the Stealing the Network series. These books are more like novels with technical information embedded. For those of you like me who can't get your head out of the tech books, these are a nice break.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Thriller book series...

Barry Eisler!!!!

(American Titles)
    "Rain Fall"
    "Hard Rain"
    "Rain Storm"
    "Killing Rain"

Actually I did bump into one of those books a few weeks ago, I don't remember which, but It started with the assasin working out his way to the target in a hotel. I read the first 15-20 pages, pretty interesting. I'll probably check him out next time I find myself in the bookstore.
    Mitnick books (The Art of Deception, The Art of Intrusion),

Actually I have both books at home, and trust me, they're as good as a thriller. Pretty nice stories.
    My favourite author is definately Robert Ludlum. Favourite titles were Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy

Even though nothing still beats The Godfather in my books, Ludlum's Bourne Identity is really something else. I read that book after I watched the movie (which not a good thing to do) and it keeps the adrenaline running in you.

The Bourne supremacy isn't as good as it's predecessor, but it's definitley better than he Bourne Ultimatum (that's a waste of paper, pen, and pennies all)

There's the Matriece Circle by Ludlum, it's cold-war stuff but it's brilliant. Some real adrenaline-surges get at you in that book.

2lbs.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    My favorite thriller book right now is....

CCNP Self-Study: Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI), 2nd Edition

Its really scary, you should check it out icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

Good reading. Just don't sleep on the sofa with that book on your lap.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey a questions guys ............

Does Mad magazine count as a thriller? I'm partial to Spy vs Spy icon_lol.gif

As far as novels go I am into stuff like Dale Brown .. Day of the Cheetah, Flight of the Old Dog, Warrior Class and others. Plus Craig Thomas and Tom Clancy ... not to mention that old favourite Wilbur Smith.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007