Options

Memorize all the flags?

milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
I am planning to take this exam, but does anyone know in general how in depth I need to know all the command line flags for the commands that are on the exam?

I am sure some of them will be there, that is within reason. But for example will I need to memorize every single option in fdisk and for useradd etc? Or does it test on just the flags that are most used?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Or does it test on just the flags that are most used?
    Indeed. It may be hard to tell which those are exactly, but knowing the main options can help a lot while excluding incorrect answers from a multiple choice questions. In the real world you'd just type --help ;)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ouch, I thought that being able to learn the most used flags or using --help or man would be sufficient. Now I do understand that you should know the most popular flags for the most used commands, but this is rediculous.
    It would be like studying Rights and having to know each section, each law and each paragraphs by heart. Well, it's useless since even lawyer sometimes need to look things up, but it's still mandatory to pass exams.

I hope they change this, since it silly.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    noone wrote:
    Ouch, I thought that being able to learn the most used flags
    It is. What section of my reply made you think otherwise? You don't have to know 'all' the flags.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this is their way of testing for your experience.

If you have been working with Linux for a while all those flags will be natural to you and will have no problem with this kind of question.

However, if you are just cramming from a book this can, and probably should, be hard.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP