Options

Setting up Wireless Network

crip1087crip1087 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm tryin to help out a friend who's having a major problem here.

The router is a Netgear 108mbps 802.11g Wireless Router (WGT624) and 1 desktop is connected by cable(internet works fine) and the other computer is connected by a wireless adapter and that one cannot connect to the local area network. The PC Adapter is a Netgear RANGEMAX Wireless 802.11g PCI Adapter (WPN311).

So Basically, the router configuration is set up, the PC that is connected to the router by cable is working fine and the internet comes up. The Wireless light on the router is on. WEP is on but it also doesnt work with WEP off.

On the PC connected by wireless adapter, I can see the Netgear router under Available Wireless Networks but I CANNOT connect to it. I was able to connect to another unknown network for a very short period and with a very low signal. Most of the time when I tried to connect to another network, it would get stuck at "Acquiring a network address" but with the NETGEAR router located in the same house, I wasn't able to connect to it, it just simply wouldn't connect.

The question I'm asking is, what could possibly be wrong? The network shows up, very good signal strength.

ROUTER - Netgear 108mbps 802.11g Wireless Router (WGT624)
PC1 - Wired
PC2 - Netgear RANGEMAX Wireless 802.11g PCI Adapter (WPN311)

Operating system on both systems: Windows XP Home SP2
The router is in the same room as PC1 so all the configuration is done on that computer.

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    MAC address filtering setup on the NetGear AP/R?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    MAC address filtering setup on the NetGear AP/R?

Unless the router setup did that automatically, then no
  • Options
    What client are you using to connect the laptop, the Netgear or the Windows Zero Configuration client?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    What client are you using to connect the laptop, the Netgear or the Windows Zero Configuration client?

At first I tried using the Netgear program but as soon as I would type the WEP pass then click connect, nothing would happen. literally.

Then I tried using windows one and when i would try to connect, it would bring up a box trying to connect for about a minute then it wouldnt connect.

I was looking at the router config on the other computer and noticed there was an ACCESS LIST, do I need to type the name/mac address of the computer and add it to this access list?
  • Options
    You should only need to do that if you have MAC filtering on, which you should, so flip it on, and put the MAC of the adapter in the list.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    You should only need to do that if you have MAC filtering on, which you should, so flip it on, and put the MAC of the adapter in the list.

Alright when I'm over there I'll turn on MAC filtering and type in the mac of the adapter. I'll post on here again if that solves or doesn't solve my issue.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Let's start with the basics, check the IP configurations on the netgear.