Options

Question because I failed

bbowler0786bbowler0786 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
There was one question that stuck out in particular about either WAP, WTLS, or WEP. I forgot which one it actually was. but it said something like a wireless network requires you to have....and then it listed things like orignal server, wireless interface card, and wireless gateway.....Did anyone else run into this question....I have put in at least 30 hours studying for this and read several study guides and have never run into anything like this....help please ?

Comments

• Options
    Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Please try not to feel too bad about the miss---there are others that have also missed, me included..(three times).... icon_redface.gif restuding now to try again. I have several books on the security+ exam, I'm concentrating on T-cat's Inside scoop/Examwise--however the book Security+ from Sybex- page 108 relates this:
    "The primary method of connecting a wireless device to a network is via a wireless portal. A wireless access point (WAP) is a low power transmitter/receiver, also known as a transceiver, which is strategically placed for access." So given your choices in your post, I would go for 'gateway', or something similar---I may be wrong---
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • Options
    citrixmecitrixme Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    am wondering friends for the sec+ is it good idea to check *edited*
  • Options
    brian89gpbrian89gp Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    citrixme wrote:
    am wondering friends for the sec+ is it good idea to check *edited*

You can, but you also probably won't learn nearly as much. I did a crash course studying for it in about 2-3 weeks and passed with a decent margin.

I had the oppurtunity to use a *edited* but am glad I didn't. Those 3 weeks that I spent re-reading those books has done me more good then I ever thought. Working towards the SANS GSEC, actually knowing the S+ makes it a lot easier. The IPSEC stuff helped me a great deal with understanding the VPN section of the CSPFA (Cisco PIX).

One book I would highly recommend is the red paperback from Syngress (ISBN: 193183672icon_cool.gif. The Sybex was a waste of money in my opinion and the Exam Cram is only really usefull as a review.
  • Options
    stakhousstakhous Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Speaking of off the wall questions, I came across one about SQL on the exam. Ive looked through TCats, ExamCram, MSPress and ExamInsight and can't find anything to do with the structure of a SQL object/class/database. By this I mean something like, user-object-database, as a possible answer.

Any advice or alternate reading material?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    yep i had the sql question too, never saw it in any study guide or book.

But if you read the question and looked at the answers and thought for a momment it was easy to determine what to choose.

So basically if you run into questions that at first you dont have a clue take the time to sit and think about each answer often times you can atleast rule out 1 or 2 and then make an educated guess.

seuss
  • Options
    Puffy ElvisPuffy Elvis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Security+ back in June and was shocked at how poorly the exam was written. The questions were VERY vague and seemed to measure more of one's ability to decipher strange abbreviations and 'nicknames' rather than demonstrate an overall understanding of concepts or details.

I studied long and hard for this exam and only missed 3 questions, but I really thought I failed when I was taking it because the questions weren't well written. Whoever wrote the test clearly has difficulty communication effectively. I also question their methodology for test writing, as it didn't seem to be well thought-out.

I had thought I might go on and earn my Server+ certification just for completeness, but after the Security+ exam I'm done with CompTIA. On a positive note, I did learn a tremendous amount by studying for this exam.