Future test-taker looking for advice

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, everyone. I registered to take the test in November and I'm looking for any helpful advice, hints, and tips regarding obtaining this certification. Does this test include any labs?

Comments

• hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Michael2 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I registered to take the test in November and I'm looking for any helpful advice, hints, and tips regarding obtaining this certification. Does this test include any labs?

The test does have a couple of situation based questions (ie. You think someone is on your network, what tool would you use to see).

Know your ports, cryptography, and other random things. If you haven't already, purchase Darril Gibson's book and you should be fine. The test has been updated to 301 though, but most companies won't care which version of the test you take.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I already have a degree in IT and part of the curriculum was a course in info. sec. so I'm familiar with the concepts, terminology, and acronyms.
    I recently ordered LaChance's book of practice exams for the sy0-301. Do you think that will be enough for me to be able to pass the exam?
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already have a degree in IT and part of the curriculum was a course in info. sec. so I'm familiar with the concepts, terminology, and acronyms.
    I recently ordered LaChance's book of practice exams for the sy0-301. Do you think that will be enough for me to be able to pass the exam?

Basically in the same boat here, is this exam particularly daunting to those with this kind of background?
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I assume that you registered for the 301 and not the 201 which is still available? (never a bad idea to double check)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    Darrell gibson book is good.

He take a bit of a different view on Radius vs TACAS+ than some others. Get the sybex book if only for the prep questions. Know your crypto and also your ports and whether it is TCP or UDP for certain items like DNS, etc...

also, they have beta questions. these are simple to spot as they are usually vague or really screwy. The first 10 questions I had must have been beta question because they were off the wall and I was just sitting there trying to figure out what they wanted, much less which option was correct (and I was studying for my CISSP the same time I sat for my Security+ last month). check the ones you are unsure of and just go back to them later. most times your first choice is right, so only change the answer if you really have no clue in the first place, but another question might have answered it for you later in the test.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    Yes, Devilsbane, I did make sure to sign up for the 301. Will I need to be able to configure things like SSH and access lists on an actual router, or do I just need to know about them?
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I keep hearing that the Darrell Gibson book is a fantastic resource as well.

Either way, good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    I keep hearing that the Darrell Gibson book is a fantastic resource as well.

Either way, good luck!

Darril's book is the best resource... for the 201 exam. I know he is in the process of updating it for the 301 objectives but I don't believe this process has been completed yet so he might not be able to help you.
    Darril wrote: »
    Hiring managers rarely care about the version (but I've been told that most associated with DoD toss a resume that doesn't have any Security+ cert).

You can continue to take the 201 exam until the end of December 2011, and you'll be required to keep it current with continuing education (CE) but the CE requirements don't change from 201 to 301.

I'm heavy into the 301 objectives (updating my book), and there are enough differences to echo other's advice. Take the exam you've been studying for.

HTH,

Darril Gibson

This quote is a little out of context as the asker was wanting to know if it was ok to use 201 material (for example, Gibson's amazing book) to take the 301 exam, but I think you will find some value in it as well.
    You know, I don't think it is a good idea to use a book that covers 201 objectives to study for the 301. That just doesn't make any sense to me. That's why, when I placed my order, I was careful to make sure that it covered 301 material. I wouldn't want to go in there and not understand half the questions on the test.
    You know, I don't think it is a good idea to use a book that covers 201 objectives to study for the 301. That just doesn't make any sense to me. That's why, when I placed my order, I was careful to make sure that it covered 301 material. I wouldn't want to go in there and not understand half the questions on the test.

A smart man who does not want to be needlessly parted with his money right here.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Basically in the same boat here, is this exam particularly daunting to those with this kind of background?

I don't think I've ever seen a "I failed Security+" thread on this specific forum, ever.