Losing steam while studying for A+

GatdamGatdam Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
I've lurked for a while but this is my first post. I'm 23 years old and about to finish my Bachelors in Computer Info Systems in May at a BaM university in my home state (MI). I currently intern as an ITS Helpdesk Tech at a local agency.

This summer, I decided I wanted to start towards some IT certs, with the goal of completing at least A+ and Network+ before I graduate (my degree isn't as fancy as some that include certs with the degree). After shopping around a lot, I decided these were a good route to go for a baseline to start getting certs. My long term interests include Database Design/Administration and Virtualization, but I find most everything in IT interesting.

Going into my studying for A+, I figured that I already knew most of what would be in the book (I'm using the A+ Certification Passport book. After I finish the book I plan to watch some videos and complete a few practice exams before I take the exams), however, I am still learning a lot of little things here and there, and concepts that were foggy to me before are now much more clear.

Here's my problem: I work full time (until the Fall, when I'll be in school and working part time) and I live with my girlfriend and a roommate. When I have free time, I tend to spend it how I want to. I have a hard time really buckling down and studying, especially when it is sort of "extra-curricular" and I don't have a deadline like I do in school. I've always been a "right-brained" type and I tend to start a lot of "projects" that rarely see full completion, at least in a decent time frame.

Does anyone have any tips for finding motivation for self-studying?

Comments

• TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Gatdam wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for finding motivation for self-studying?

Pretend it's a homework assignment and you have until the end of the month to complete it, if you don't your only chance for an extension will be by using money out of your own pocket. It shouldn't be a hard test if you have some experience.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    For me, money is always the best motivator...so just think to yourself...

Man, I'm almost done with school. I gotta grow up quick. If I get these certs in the next few months, I can command $3-7k more at my next job.

That translates into ~$400 extra in your pocket, each month, than you would have had...all because you buckled down for a short period of time. So what, you don't go out a few weekends because you're studying in your room? The extra money you can possibly make from this small time (career!!!) investment will get you way more toys and fun times at the end of the day.
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Find ways to make it more interesting and mix it up, like with flash cards.
    Set up a reward system for yourself. If you study for x hours you get to go out and do xyz for however long. That way, you still study and you get to have guilt free fun. Tell your girlfriend and roomate how much you want to study more right now, commitments that are told to people tend to stick a lot more. See if they will help you with it.
  • GatdamGatdam Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips everybody. I think if I set my goals, I can do it. Does anyone else have some study methods that seem to work especially well for IT certs?
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The Power of 50:10:50 | paul browning.com

50-10-50 works for me. Study for 50, take a 10 min break, go back and study for another 50.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't just study it-apply it! Be an active participant not just an observer. Right now I'm studying for the A+ cert as well and I'm always tinkering with the computer to apply what I read in the chapter (helps to have a spare computer to work with.....:D )
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • EdenEden Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Let me quote Michael Meyers

"Obligate Yourself

The first step you should take is to schedule the exam. Ever heard the old adage that heat
    and pressure make diamonds? Well, if you don’t give yourself a little “heat,” you’ll end
    up procrastinating and unnecessarily delay taking the exam. Even worse, you may end up
    not taking the exam at all. Do yourself a favor. Determine how much time you need to
    study (see the next section), then call Prometric or Pearson VUE and schedule the exam,
    giving yourself the time you need to study, adding a few extra days for safety. Afterward,
    sit back and let your anxieties wash over you. Suddenly, it will become a lot easier to turn
    off the television and crack open the book! Keep in mind that Prometric and Pearson
    VUE let you schedule an exam only a few weeks in advance, at most.
    If you schedule an exam and can’t make it,
    you must reschedule at least a day in advance or lose your
    money. "

:D
  • GatdamGatdam Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot everybody. You've all been very helpful.
  • xna888xna888 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Eden wrote: »
    Let me quote Michael Meyers

"Obligate Yourself

The first step you should take is to schedule the exam. Ever heard the old adage that heat
    and pressure make diamonds? Well, if you don’t give yourself a little “heat,” you’ll end
    up procrastinating and unnecessarily delay taking the exam. Even worse, you may end up
    not taking the exam at all. Do yourself a favor. Determine how much time you need to
    study (see the next section), then call Prometric or Pearson VUE and schedule the exam,
    giving yourself the time you need to study, adding a few extra days for safety. Afterward,
    sit back and let your anxieties wash over you. Suddenly, it will become a lot easier to turn
    off the television and crack open the book! Keep in mind that Prometric and Pearson
    VUE let you schedule an exam only a few weeks in advance, at most.
    If you schedule an exam and can’t make it,
    you must reschedule at least a day in advance or lose your
    money. "

:D

I think Microsoft and Prometric charges a $50 fee now if you don't reschedule at least 15 days in advance.