In a Slight Pickle About the New Exams

MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just a bit of background:

-BSc in Computer Networking
-MSc in Information Security at the Royal Holloway/ISG (halfway through)
-3 years practical experience in AD/Domain administration inc security

I REALLY would like to sit the exam in December 17th, but I don't know if that's going to be a huge leap inconsideration with how big the exam is going to be.

Now the thing is I finish my masters in September 2012, and the new CISSP exam starts in 2012, and I don't want the two to clash as I have so much to do in my end year with my thesis and final year exams, and I want to be AoISC^2 level by the time I've graduated, as it will improve my CV.

So I don't know whether to book the exam for December or book it for some point next year. I don't know in real life how big the changes will be (I've read the new CAB), will it be a a complete re-write of a chapter, will it be just a few entries into a chapter, etc?

Also I don't even know when the Shon Harris, et all/Official ISC2 to CISSP CBK books will be out to start revising; they SHOULD be this year, but who knows?And I don't want to have to read through another 900+ pages just for the new exam icon_sad.gif

Stuck at the moment icon_sad.gif. Almost finished Chapter 1 of the Official CISSP book (which was a beast), so I am trying to speed things up a bit more. Some help would be greatful!

Comments

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Based on what you said, you are 1-2 years shy of being a "full" CISSP. If you think you can pull of the December exam, I'd go ahead and book it and continue with your prep for that date.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers,

I might just go ahead and bite the bullet. COncentrate on my weakest domains such as Telecomms/The theory side of things...Technially I'm still strong in Crypto, network and application security.

Let's hope it's £340 not down the drain eh!icon_thumright.gif

PS. Is there a site that gathers "common" job experience regarding the CISSP. See I do most of my work either in AD or Win Servers controlling access to assets, also a few other security elemets for the company. But I just need to get some examples of job rols/titles..

Cheers
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Mechs wrote: »
    Cheers,

Let's hope it's £340 not down the drain eh!icon_thumright.gif

Once they add the tax try £408
  • MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rob1234 wrote: »
    Once they add the tax try £408

Urrrgh

Between paying for my masters, all the travelling and books...The price makes me just want to do it in 2012!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Mechs wrote: »
    Also I don't even know when the Shon Harris, et all/Official ISC2 to CISSP CBK books will be out to start revising; they SHOULD be this year, but who knows?And I don't want to have to read through another 900+ pages just for the new exam icon_sad.gif
    The 2nd edition (ISC)2 CISSP Official Study Guide should be good to study for the next revision of the CISSP exam. This is probably the primary reference source used by the (ISC)2 to write the new CISSP exam items.

Shon Harris has no special insight into what will be in the revised CISSP exam, so I wouldn't bother waiting for her book if you want to take the exam sooner than later. You are better off getting the CISSP Candidate Information Bulletin for the current and new exam and reading through the new reference materials listed there. Those are the actual references used to revise the exam, and you will notice that Harris' books are not listed.
  • leowarriorleowarrior Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mechs,

I just read your post and this is regarding Msc in Information Security from Royal Holloway (Distance Learning in US). I am planning to do the same next year from US and since you are half way through I believe you could provide valuable information so that I can decide if this Masters programme is the best.

1] Is this Masters from Royal Holloway accreditated by USA?
    2] Do you get recorded offline videos of the lectures that ISG does in UK on campus?
    3] They do offer short course for the 4 core modules so if i take short course for these modules will i be able to earn credits for each and will that reduce the number of modules when i do actual Masters from them? I asked this because i have missed this year and want to use the time to earn credits.
    4] How are their written exams? It sounds silly to ask but is it from what they teach or is it outside like vague from the security industry?

I am sure you would be busy preparing for your exams but it will be helpful if you can provide information.
    Thanks in advance.