First day of class a bit overwhelming

ChristopherHChristopherH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I had my first day of class for Network+ at my local college.

I have some networking experience but I have to say it was a bit overwhelming. I left the class a bit confused and nervous for future lessons.

I've been reading this forum since I decided to get my education in IT, and I kept hearing about the website professormesser.com from this forum.

I just went on it for the first time, and I looked up the topics for the things we went over in class.

BOY am I relieved! His videos are so informational and I got such a better grip.
I now plan on going to his website now for every new thing we learn.

Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestion of that website!!

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just about any college classes can be confusing or overwhelming at first unless you already know the material. Or you can catch on quickly. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and you'll notice things in the classes that you've already had experience with.

Good luck and have fun with it :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just about any college classes can be confusing or overwhelming at first unless you already know the material. Or you can catch on quickly. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and you'll notice things in the classes that you've already had experience with.

Good luck and have fun with it :)

+1

I agree, almost every college class I took was overwhelming at first. I have two tips for you…
    1. Find instructors you like and as many classes with them that you can. I did this in school and it worked great, because I knew their teaching styles and expectations.
    2. Read the syllabus and memorize if you can. I can’t even begin to tell you how many students would come to class shocked to find out a paper,lab, or homework assignment was due, even though it’s stated in the syllabus.
    3. Ask questions..never be afraid to ask questions.
    4. Ask students about a class before taking it, to gauge the difficulty and what you might learn in that class. Also, I suggest asking teachers too.

Here’s a good link for network+
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    +1

I agree, almost every college class I took was overwhelming at first. I have two tips for you…
    1. Find instructors you like and as many classes with them that you can. I did this in school and it worked great, because I knew their teaching styles and expectations.
    2. Read the syllabus and memorize if you can. I can’t even begin to tell you how many students would come to class shocked to find out a paper,lab, or homework assignment was due, even though it’s stated in the syllabus.
    3. Ask questions..never be afraid to ask questions.
    4. Ask students about a class before taking it, to gauge the difficulty and what you might learn in that class. Also, I suggest asking teachers too.

Here’s a good link for network+
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE

I figured you probably have the best advice on TE for someone in a situation like the OP, since your screenname clearly said it all. icon_lol.gif +1 Everything you said is right on the target. I did those things and did very well in my networking class. I hate students complaining about how bad a teacher is and start blaming when they didn't even read the syllabus in the first place.
  • ChristopherHChristopherH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

Its not that I don't like the class its just was a lot of information all at once!

Ill keep you updated how it goes! hopefully in December I can tell you I'm network+ certified!

My professor said if we get certified we get 100% on the final exam..I thought that was pretty cool!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First day always is. I don't think I've went through a high school or college syllabus on the first day and not had the thought of "There is no way that I can do all of this..." It always works out though, mostly A's and a few B's.

Network+ by December? Easy peasy. You should do it in October and then ask if you can just skip the last 2 months!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□

I have some networking experience but I have to say it was a bit overwhelming. I left the class a bit confused and nervous for future lessons.

Take it like this: as a toddler, you didn't get up straight and started walking and running around.

Same with IT. It'll take some time, but keep with it, study and it'll all make sense in the end.