Jobs

loksennaloksenna Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

I have A+ cert and Cisco training and just got a job. I work at a computer store where I fix and build computers, troubleshoot SERIOUS network problems, and just do general consulting. In the past 3 days I have backed up the network, built 3000 dollars worth of computers out of FREE junk parts, sold 400 dollars worth of one of the junk computers, worked on the fiber optic backbone, set-up a new division, and increased profits by about 200-300 percent. I am paid minimum wage and the most I've gotten for my work has been a sincere "thanks". I'm not going to complain to them and I know that being 18 is whats really hurting me, but can anyone offer me a tip on how to maximize my income? Does anyone know how not to get screwed, or do I have to wait this thing out?

Comments

• loksennaloksenna Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, I was hired only to build computers. That's it. I don't even work in the network, design, marketing, or sales deparments. They just think I do.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Hehe, then just build computers man. I can say from much personal experience, that no matter what the job, if you go above and beyond the call of duty, it will not be appreciated. Employers will take advantage of you anyway they can.

I'm in sort of a good mood, one of my teachers, who happens to be head of our entire CIS department, hunted me down last night and asked me if I was doing any support work. I told him I wasn't, and he asked me if I'd like to. A company had emailed the school looking for a fulltime tech and wanted a recommendation, and he said he's going to recommend me. Job pays 20 bucks an hour just to maintain, fix, and deploy boxes and laptops.

/me prays fervently
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    loksenna - maximising your income? Try a different industry my friend.
    I used to generate over a million p/a in income for a company and if I earned percentage wise what you do I would be a very wealthy man icon_wink.gif As you progress you will find that if you are more than proficient in your skills you will find better renumeration.

Drakonblayde - Sounds like a good entry into things - not sure of pay rates in GA, but I know a lot of guys who have been techs for a few years and are only on 12/14 p/h due to massive numbers of unemployed techs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Open up a word document and put some of your achievements into a resume. Good to have this stuff on hand when you want to move your career.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    Hmm, be smarter than the employer, then. Or at least slyer. I hadn't thought of it that way. Sorry for the cheesy cliche, but basically I should have said, "how do I get more than minimum wage?" I think I'll just quit when I go to college.
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lazyart has a good point. That job is more than making money. Experience will go along way in your resume. Build a good relationship with your boss and you'll have a great reference in the future.
  • ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In general the rule is "If you don't ask, you don't get."

If you really want to approach you manager for more money the write down what you posted here, put some real values on each point. (check pricing or what similar positions dealing with stuff like this are paid - jobsites can help-
    You have to provide evidence of your worth, prove that can be used for your argument, and maybe, by the manager SHOULD he decide to pursue a raise.

HOWEVER... keep in mind that you just got the job, and some Managers won't respond well to a query like that. You'll need to know exactly how firm you're in the saddle in the company (who can do the same in the company ? how many people are out there who could fill your job ?)

If you have to fear any repercussions I would advise against it. Repercussions ...like..er.. being replaced with a less "troublesome" (cause you just caused the Manager work) guy, or maybe they won't allow you to do the stuff you did any more, which means a loss of experience that , beside certs, is your real assest in the IT sector.

Getting a raise often boils down to:
    How much do they need you ?
    Could you be easily replaced ?
    Can you convince them that you're a valueable assest ?

Anyroada... just some food for thought, and told in a simple way (check out jobsearch websites, lots of them have texts on "how to ask for a raise" which can be intersting)

Whatever you do, be sure to think on it for a some time.
    Oh, I know, I have no intention of causing any trouble, I just can't help but feel screwed, especially since I have put cash directly in their pocket. We ordered in some new systems for that new dept. that I was talking about, and I have already pre-sold them cash today. I did over 1000 dollars today with 700 net. Considering that no one else sold anything, I would like to at least get lunch, a free drink, something. I brown bag a sandwich and chips to work, they could at least hook me up with a drink. Don't take it the wrong way, either, it's really not all b****ing, it just seems hilarious to me. If I was going to work here for a long time, though, I would think otherwise.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    When you apply for your next job, just use that stuff you wrote down and when they ask.. Just say.. Yeah I can do that.. Yeah I can do that.. Rather than push for a raise right now, just hang tight get some experience and if the raise doesnt come, go your seperate way without a hitch. Two of the best things you can get from the whole thing is the experience and the reference.

Pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
    It may seem bullshit to you, but a fact of business life is that things are not always what they seem.
    You say that you netted $700 - how did you figure that?
    Did you take into account Rent, Utilities, Wages, Local Fees, Workers Compensation Insurance, Professional Fees, Taxes, Public Liability Insurance, Advertising, Company Vehicle Expenses, Fire and Business Continuity Insurance? - hell, that ain't even close to all of it.
    Running or owning a business has a lot of expenses that are just not openly recognised. I remember when we were in So Cal and owned a motorcycle shop - one customer crashed a bike while on a test ride and sued us for negligence (Like it was us that made him ride at over 100mph and try to run away from the cops) - that cost us many hundreds in lawyers fees that were not recoupable - also cost us a doubling of our liability insurance and increased our excess. Those costs came out of our operating expenses and made a reasonable year rather bad.

If you do good at your job and you make reasonable money for your boss then you may have a case, but as someone who managed a staff of over 100 I would look twice at someone who asked for a raise when they were only with me for a short time. Unless of course this person was demonstrably better than the other staff and showed true initiative and application.
    www.supercross.com
    Welp, I've got an interview next week. Here's to hoping they'll hire me, and that it's compatible with my school schedule... if it's not... 20 an hour is really hard to resist, but i also really want to finish my degree...
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Is it just me or does everyone concur that to key to a successful interview is not only answering questions but asking them as well?

Good luck!
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    Asking for sure - This is care of TechRepublic ....

Employer Questions

What do you find most frustrating about your position? (Ask this if the job interviewer is in the IT department.)

Why is this position open?

Can you describe a typical day in this role?

Where do you see this position in three to five years?

What is the company's policy regarding training?

Would the job description assigned to me be based on my interest areas?

What are the company’s financial stability and future growth possibilities?

Could you describe the work culture (do people work overtime, etc.)?

What are the personal growth opportunities (such as leadership training, company-supported community work, mentoring, and so on)?

What is the training budget for the IT staff?

How many IT employees do you have?

How many people are supported by the IT staff?

What technologies have you implemented?

What are your major IT initiatives for the year?
    www.supercross.com
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A successful interview has many keys. First impressions, answering questions correctly, asking good questions, body language. The first five minutes are the most critical because that's where the interviewer forms his/her first opinion of you.
    Yes and no ...

I have managed over 100 staff at various times and have employed many people over the years. On several occasions I have had someone who made perfect impression in the first 5/10 minutes only to have them blow themselves out of the position by goofing in once of several ways.
    Here are a few suggestions ...

Do NOT make jokes or clown around with the interviewer. If they make a comical error, tell a joke or make some sort of parallel to something you have experienced - just smile and perhaps a short laugh (to show you do have a sense of humor). NEVER try to counter with your own joke or story.

No matter how the interviewer comes across - you are not a friend and probably never will be. Using familiararities is not good.

Don't be overly verbose. In other words, do NOT talk yourself out of a position.

Take them as you wish, but I have had all of this happen when interviewing staff icon_confused.gif

Oh yes - workboots do NOT go with a business suit :P
    www.supercross.com
    Hehe, yeah, I normally wear steel toe boots. I've had to go buy some real shoes, in addition to the haircut this week in preparation for the interview. I'm not really worried, the hard part for me has always been just getting the interview. So far, I've gotten every position I've ever interviewed for, and my first help desk job I managed to snag without any prior experience simply based on the strength of my technical knowledge and based on the strength of the interview. In that particular case, the interviewer did end up becoming a good friend (and is now one of my more prominent references given the position he's moved on to in the company) and I asked him why in god's name did he hire me when I was underqualified compared to some folks who didn't make the cut.

OTOH, I know better than to go in cocky. There is that annoying first time for everything rule hehe. My main concern will be the hours they're expecting out of me, if it conflicts with my school schedule it's going to have to be a split second decision as to whether I accept a job offer or not.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    @loksenna: I didn't think you were out to stir things up. The feeling of "getting screwed in the worklplace" is something most people will experience at least once. Recognition of individual achivement is hard to find in any sector. And IF they throw a goodie at you like a free lunch or something, you can't help thinking... "What is behind this ?" :D

@RussS: The number with the motorbike... heavyyy. "I just crashed your bike.. you bastards are gonna pay !"... sometimes I can't believe the types of lawsuits people actually start. Hope he had at least had to carry the costs for the whole proceedings in court.
    Hey Zumpel. Yes he did have to carry the costs - however the increase in fees and levys made things very difficult for the old man.

On a similar note, I understand there are a few cases before courts in the states relating to 911 where families of the deceased are taking their loved ones employers to court for making them work in unsafe skyscrapers. Damn, from what I heard most of the places there paid salaries far in excess of what most people earn in a decade - I would hope that the juries take this into account.
    www.supercross.com
    You guys have dropped some really great tips in here, I've got to remember some of this stuff.

The whole situation has now gone beyond comical at my job. We're starting to draw in some real business and the owner is beginning to get worried about some of his practices, so he's looking for escape routes. Chances are that, when I leave, the store will be re-assimilated into his old one. I just hope it's not sooner. It's not anything he will get in "real" trouble for, but it might draw attention.

Zumpel: I hear you, and the words are taken to heart. I never expected anything when taking my position, and I say all this because it really is funny and ironical to me. It's a new stage of my life and, like everything else, I am finding that much of what I thought would be serious business is a joke. But then again, people in my calculus class use to tell me that I was going insane because I would randomly laugh in class. I probably am. Anyways, I don't plan on saying a thing about my job to anyone there, but it is sort of ironical when my coworkers come up to me and make jokes about how I am paid as low as my gopher and have more qualifications than most of the store. It's not that I don't understand it, it's just that the situations are funny.

Anyways, thanks to all for the good advice!
    Ahhh assimilate. Damn, your boss is borg aye?

icon_jokercolor.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Impact4everImpact4ever Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif WOW! I finally got an IT job interview icon_lol.gif The steps that RussS made is great! The funny thing is that their going to make me take a test. I should be able to pass without any problems :D woo-hoo!
    A tribe2 player who needs a better job!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Excellent news Impact4ever - may the force be with you :)
    www.supercross.com
    @loksenna: Couldn't agree more with you about the stuff one asumed was serious business/pro business being in reality one heck of a joke. (..the IT dept in my old company comes to mind.. without remote help from overseas those guys would have been as usefull as a chocolate ladder) Good thing you see the amusing side of it, cause that's the stuff ulcers are made of :D.

@Russ: Goes right along the lines of "..you can't put a price on the life of the relative that died in that plain crash.. ".. but we'll sue you anyway, just to make a point. (And I always fail to see the point, stupid me...)
    My absolute fave just was on da telly: Fat people thinking of sueing the junk food vendors. Some rubbish about the ingredients having the same effects as some drugs etc. etc. blabla. . Can't believe someone is actually considering this.
    But.. hold it.. I guess I could try to cash in on my extra pounds as well.... heck.. THEY are responsible for me being a lazy bugger, I knew it all along.. It can't be the beers, cause thats brewed in a totaly organic way. Ahhh personal trainer .. here I come...
    Sorry Zumpel - you are too far away for me to be your personal trainer. Lucky though because you would probably end up training me in Guiness consumption like most of my Irish mates do icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • snaginwysnaginwy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    loksenna,
    If, when you go to college, you might be taking a class in Help Desk, write out what tasks you do and ask your boss to sign it. It may be that that document shows experience in tasks that can count as extra credit for the class, even if you did it before taking the class. And if you don't take the class, you've got it in writing signed by your boss that you have the experience when applying for another job. Especially if he worries that something "might draw attention". CYA, you know.