for love or money

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Dear fellow techies,

Are you obtaining cert's for pure knowledge or for a higher salary?

Comments

• Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    for me.....It is both....

kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's both for me as well.

I want to be able to get the sort of jobs that I want.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Both here too. I want money, but I also want to know what I'm talking about.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70% knowledge, 30% Salary
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    90% Money 10% love.

I say this because I know that I really dont need a cert if I know what I am doing. Or in that case, anyone dont need certs to know how to change an IP on a server or in CLI.

I have a friend who is just as good as a CCIE but doesnt even have the CCNA cert. I asked him one time why he didnt get any certs and it is bc he doesnt feel that he needs them. His resume will speak for him and not a cert...
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

If anyone says its not for the money they are talking sh**e. I am in it purley for the money and has it happens the more ya know the more you can earn so the question is wrong.

Lee H
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    How about topic change to "For the Love of Money" I can't drive a BMW working at the lumber yard.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    How about topic change to "For the Love of Money" I can't drive a BMW working at the lumber yard.

bowing.gif thats so true unless you run it... i'm in it for the money and love of it, i can't give a percentage but i will say this, the money keeps me movitated and the love keeps me interested
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    well said
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    I suppose the majority of my reasoning would be money, since I'm not yet sure what area of IT I'd like to specialize in.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I guess it's mostly love in my case considering I can do a lot of different high-paying jobs in IT, but choose to do one that is less rewarding in terms of money but more in terms of appreciation and allows me a lot of freedom as for choosing which technologies and areas I spent my time on.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would have to say for love mostly. I was a manager in the4 hospitality industry and came into the IT feild fairly recently. Mucking around with computers was my hobby and I wanted to work somewhere I would enjoy what I was doing. The salary I am on is about what I was earning 10 - 15 years ago so I can't say it was the money.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    For the Love...Money is Evil. icon_evil.gif
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find other careers rather boring, I love technology jobs, engineering, telecommunications, IT, etc. I would not leave the Tech sector
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    I would say success for me. It's basically 50/50.

Part of me wants to bring in the big dough, drive nice cars and operate at enterprise levels. The other part of me wants to be able to say I never believed I was "entitled" to a high paying job by just going to college. I had to put a lot of hard effort, and I have something to show for it.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For me I'd say that money is a part of it. Part of it is because I love the idea of actively and agressively learning forever. Then I also like the idea of passing knowledge on to other people (however $900 to $2000 per day for training is a good incentive to share knowledge :D ).
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    IT was a hobbie for me, i enjoyed it so i dont mind it being my career choice, the money im getting at the moment is abit sh*t but i want to work up to getting the good money with my certs, plus its nice when ppl look up to thinking wow, he most know alot about IT and people have alot more respect for you.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    keatron wrote:
    For me I'd say that money is a part of it. Part of it is because I love the idea of actively and agressively learning forever. Then I also like the idea of passing knowledge on to other people (however $900 to $2000 per day for training is a good incentive to share knowledge :D ).

Nice, MCT gets you that pay?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCT, CTT+, proven years of experience and a very good Metrics That Matter score card (MTM is Microsoft's way of evaluating trainers, training companies typically use this to gauge how much they're going to pay you for the classes).

Look at it this way, the average cost for a student to attend a week long course for MS 70-293 is around $2800. Multiply that by say 12 students you get about $33,600. So if you're charging the training company, $1000 per day, you're only costing them $5000. They're still ending up with over $28,000. Of course they have other expenses, but trust me, they're fine.

Actually my highest pay for training comes from clients that I train for on a somewhat regular basis, for example, training a division of Motorola's infrastructure team. After you do this over and over again with the end result being happy students, and happy supervisors, pricing starts not to become much of an issue :D
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    so what colour is your ferrari then keatron ;)