Terminal Services Question

Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
Can anyone please help clear this up for me?have the following scenario:

1. have a DC running Server 2003 and a client running XP
2. Terminal Services running on DC (remote administration mode)
3. Make a client connection to the DC

Am i right in thinkin the only way for me to remotely control the clients connection is to first establish a client session from the DC to the DC and use terminal service manager thru that session to remotely control the XP clients session?

When i simply open terminal services manager on the DC it says "certain tools, such as remote control and connect, only work when you run this tool from a terminal services client session. These features are disabled when run from the console session"

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, that's right. It's meant for assisting a user who is running a terminal session. Instead of walking up to the user's client (or start a remote dekstop session to the client) you can join his/her session on the terminal server.
  • Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. I had set this up myself using my test lab and jus found it strange that i could not remotely control the clients session by simply opening terminal sessions manager on the server, right clicking and choosing remote control.

Thanks for the reply
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ally77 wrote:
    i could not remotely control the clients session by simply opening terminal sessions manager on the server, right clicking and choosing remote control.
    You can, but logically the session you want to control has to be established before you can control it.
  • Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    ok, i think i am not understanding something very bacis here. I have :

(a) Connected a client session to the server thru remote desktop
    (b) Ensured that the properties for RDP-tcp in Terminal Services Configuration Manager are set to allow remote control
    (c) Opened Terminal Services Manager on the server i.e. start, admin tools, terminal services manager

However, when i know right click the clients session that i have created i do not have an option to control remotely; it is greyed out!!

I apologise if i am missing something simple here, by the sounds of what you have said i should be able to control the client session following the steps outlined. However, i cannot!!

Thankyou
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought you had to be connected to the server through RD, not from the console, thats the only way i believe it to work, although it doesn't make sense
    so...
    client connects through RD to server
    you connect through RD to server
    fire up terminal manager and remote there session.
  • jogzjogz Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that's right spunik, u can only Remote control a rd session by another rd session. You cannot sit at the server and login to it and control the rd session.
    I just tested it out n it all cleared out.