DHCP

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

We have server 2003 with both 200 and XP clients on the network, we have all our XP clients on DHCP but however we cant have the 2000 clients, when a user logs in it freezes. So we have to have static IP's for them to work. Is this a known problem, is there any particular settings to have a mixed environment using DHCP.

If anyone has any suggestions please help

Lee H

Comments

• jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Not that I know of, all your clients seems fine. It maybe another issue other that static vs dynamic ip addressing scheme.

A good test is to do a clean install on one of your xp or 2000 box and see what happends.
    What next?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Where I work we use Windows 2003 Server and are able to DHCP both XP and 2K clients just fine. In fact, even computers not registered in the Active Directory domains (i.e., rogue clients) are DHCP'ed. This fact makes your problem sound like a security configuration.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I recommend to ensure all of the 2000 Machine have SP4. Also insure that the QoS Packet Scheduler is installed correctly in your TCP/IP stack. You may attempt to reinstall this component.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take a really close look at your dhcp scope options. Make sure there's no weird vendor class options or anything like that configured. Did you yourself actually configure the dhcp server, or did you inherit the current configuration?

Check the "register this connection's addresses in DNS" checkbox in the advanced section on the DNS tab in the TCP/IP properties.

Make sure your dhcp server is a member of the dnsupdateproxy group in your domain/domains

These are a couple of things I can think of off the top of my head to look at.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Thanks for your reply, but still no joy

I have installed QoS Packet Scheduler on both server and client then tested it.

It does actually log on but with no desktop just the background screen with no icons or start nar.

"Make sure your dhcp server is a member of the dnsupdateproxy group in your domain/domains" Our server is the DNS server, does this still need to be done?

Once i take it off DHCP and give it a static it logs on as normal, i have no idea whats causing this.

Any more help would be much welcome

Lee H
    Are you sure that the Windows 2000 DHCP Client service is started?

Are you seeing any DHCP-related warning or error messages in the event logs on either the client or the DHCP server?

Can you put a packet analyzer (like Ethereal) on the client and capture the DHCP session? I'd like to know:
      1. If the client is sending out a DHCP request message 2. If a DHCP server response message is being received by the client 3. What the result code in the DHCP response message is
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    It does actually log on but with no desktop just the background screen with no icons or start nar.
    Lee H

To me it sounds more like a profile issue than a DHCP one. You say that they log in, but there is no icons or start bar - that is an indicator that the permissions for the client computers have been built for a XP machine and not a W2000 one. I would have a good long look at the profile/policies on the domain controller.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Never did get to the bottom of this problem but i installed a fresh 2000 to a client and DHCP worked on it. Now i have to re-image naerlly 100 2000 clients.
    Were all of the clients made from the same disk image? And if so, did DHCP work on the master machine the image was made from?

Also, did you try completely uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP on one of the clients? Sometimes things get honked-up in the registry and an uninstall/reinstall is the only way to fix a mysterious component/service/driver problem.