SY0-301: Passed!

IRJesusIRJesus Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I lurk more than post around here but thought I could give my take on the certification exam. 833/900 icon_cheers.gif

Study Materials used: CompTIA Security+ by Stewart
CompTIA Security+ by LaChance

There are questions about cloud computing and virtualization which has been mentioned previously. I also feel that study materials for 201 would aptly prepare somebody for 301. The areas I would stress in studying are: Access Control, SSH: (SCP, SFTP), hash types, encryption types, especially the differences between hashes and what they do opposed to encryption algorithms and their purposes and implementations. Lastly, I can say that the Sec+ exam was much easier than the Net+ exam for me.

Comments

• Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations.icon_thumright.gif

I'm thinking about taking that exam. I had a Security+ class about a few months ago and did pretty good. Do you think that the CompTIA Security+ by Stewart would work for me?
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • IRJesusIRJesus Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you think that the CompTIA Security+ by Stewart would work for me?

I suggested it because it helped me and the practice questions are a good indicator of where you would stand on the actual exam. There are also free videos for the sy0-301 from Prof. Messer on his site that are helpful too.

Professor Messer Security+ (SY0-301) videos.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's the format? Is it all multi-choice, are there any short answer or fill-in-the-blank type questions, are there any labs? Also, when do they let you know whether you passed or not?
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and thanks for posting the resources used!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    Michael2 wrote: »
    What's the format? Is it all multi-choice, are there any short answer or fill-in-the-blank type questions, are there any labs? Also, when do they let you know whether you passed or not?

The format is multiple choice; 100 questions with only a couple of them being "choose two". There are no short answer or fill-in-the-blank. No labs. You would be notified whether or not you have passed immediately upon completing the exam.
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice job! You are the first person here I have personally seen that took the new 301
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SamLea27 wrote: »
    Nice job! You are the first person here I have personally seen that took the new 301

I'm gonna take the 301 here in a bit - is it significantly more difficult than 201?
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
    Mierdin wrote: »
    I'm gonna take the 301 here in a bit - is it significantly more difficult than 201?

The differences, in my opinion, are the newer technologies and the latest ways of implementing those technologies. Cloud computing and virtualization are the 2 that are covered in 301 but weren't in 201. Remote users, telecommuters, and the most secure means including the devices (how to encrypt; what to do in case of a lost or stolen company smart phone; etc.) they use to the tunneling protocols that allow for a secure connection are important in 301 because they are vastly advancing. I'd say if you are ready for 201 and you know that conceptual security has moved beyond many of the least secure protocols; you will be fine. I was torn between 201 or 301 and I just went for it. Professor Messer's videos were a huge help on what areas I needed to study better. I'm always wary that I'm might say too much but I hope that helps.
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats!
    Eating humble pie.