Self-Study CPE Logging

swildswild Member Posts: 828
I noticed that you can submit one CPE per hour of self study as determined by the training provider. The problem I face is how many to claim. I can't find any guidelines on how many hours of self study you can claim per 1000 pages of study material or any other way of adding this up.

I am just starting to study for my CEH and have ordered the official courseware. How many hours should it take me to get through all of it? I couldn't even guess how many hours I spent studying for the CISSP. Easily 20 a week for 2 months. I was studying 20 hours each weekend for the last month, not to mention everyday during the week. If I attended the CEH boot camp, it would be 40 hours of class time, plus studying at night.

Has anyone tried claiming this? Anyone been audited for it?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    swild wrote: »
    I noticed that you can submit one CPE per hour of self study as determined by the training provider. The problem I face is how many to claim. I can't find any guidelines on how many hours of self study you can claim per 1000 pages of study material or any other way of adding this up.
    It's CPEs for completing a self-study training course, such as provided by a training provider (e.g., Train Signal), webinars, online training, etc. For academic courses, one credit or CEU equals 10 CPEs or 10 hours worth of coursework. I would therefore guess that completing a 10-hour self-study training course would be worth 10 CPEs.

You really should contact the (ISC)2 directly to get the official position on these equivalents. If you do, please post the (ISC)2's response here.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Answer from ISC:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that for Self Study, the website or course material usually says how many CPEs the training provider recommends. You may want to go to the company and inquire how many CPEs are recommended. However, if you are unable to locate this information, please use the Self Study policy within the CPE guidelines, which states that you may earn one CPE credit per hour of self study.

Also, please know that we do not recommend the amount of CPE credits that a member may submit. Please use your best professional judgment within the CPE guidelines to select those activities which qualify for CPE credits and which will enhance your professional development.

For record keeping purposes, please keep any and all supporting documents for the hours that you are submitting.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Ciera Lovitt
    Member Services Advisor
    (ISC)2

I have contacted EC-Council, but don't really expect to hear back from them. So, use your best judgement if you can't find it listed. Keep records.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    1 CPE = 1 hour is the commonly-used measure. No surprise there.

How you would properly document self-study outside of a classroom environment where there is no official record I'm not sure.
    Unless I hear back from EC-Council, I am going to claim 40 hours since that is how long the boot camp is using the same materials. I think that is probably half or a third what I will actually spend, but it won't do me a lot of good to have much more than that since I need at least 20 CPEs a year. I have more than enough certs planned for the next 6 years at least.

I've spent at least 30 hours just playing around and learning Wireshark with the official book. Still have the Metasploit and NMap books to crack open.