Just joined site, and just got certified.

JubeiYagaruJubeiYagaru Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just took both my 220-701 and 220-702 exams, both successfully. Also working on my Network +, which I should get around the beginning of September. I did have a particular question though. Back in 2003 I took courses in trade school for the CCNA. I thought about outside of class re-studying for the CCNA, but was curious what kind of changes, if any, I should be aware of that were not present on the material available in 2003.

Thanks in Advanced, After my Net+ I'll be working on trying to get a few of my MCTS exams out of the way, along with the MCITP-SA.

Comments

• KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with the CCNA but I would guess it has changed since 2003.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • JubeiYagaruJubeiYagaru Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wasn't really sure, I mean, the Cisco IOS is still basically the same I believe. Though I think now there is a GUI on the new routers instead of the old command line only interface ? Could be wrong,,,,but that's what I'm here to find out.
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Congrats on your A+ but i don't think there is a lot of changes
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on pass, and sorry, I have not touched anything Cisco yet.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    Thanks for the welcome and the congrats. I don't wanna over load myself on studying a bunch of different certs at once, but I am trying to figure out whats certs I should get to become more marketable in my job search. Currently I'm taking classes for my Network +, and soon after I will be taking classes for the various MCTS exams I need for my MCITP:SA.

Is it worth spending my down time outside of class working on another cert...or should I just concentrate solely on my classes so I don't potentially burn myself out ?
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulationsicon_cheers.gif

I'm currently studying for the CCNA. I was told that Cisco dropped some of the legacy stuff on the CCNA:D The CCNA is more focused on important network stuff. IOS commands are still the big focus and haven't changed much. Besides those changes it hasn't changed that much. If your getting a Network+, you probably want to finish your studies for the CCNAicon_study.gif You don't have all that much to go, especially if you studied for it before.

As for studying multiple certifications, it depends. You can do it, but put more focus on what you like, that way it doesn't stress you outicon_cool.gif

If you decide to go for the CCNA, here's a good book.

Amazon.com: CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, (640-802): Exam 640-802 (9780470901076): Todd Lammle: Books
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and welcome to the forums!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Congrats and Welcome!
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and welcome. As for the CCNA, I am sure you would want to brush up on it anyway since it has been a few years. Not sure on the exact changes but I am sure they may be some differences.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the welcome and the congrats. I don't wanna over load myself on studying a bunch of different certs at once, but I am trying to figure out whats certs I should get to become more marketable in my job search. Currently I'm taking classes for my Network +, and soon after I will be taking classes for the various MCTS exams I need for my MCITP:SA.

Is it worth spending my down time outside of class working on another cert...or should I just concentrate solely on my classes so I don't potentially burn myself out ?

I think you should do your classes and perhaps a cert in the evening, but the key thing is what you said 'become more marketable in your job search'. So you should be spending significant time in the evenings working your CV, hitting the job boards and contacting people through linkedin to enquire about job openings. Certs are the keys to the castle, but once you have a few, start unlocking doors instead of simply acquiring more keys...
    I actually have a copy of this book.

Amazon.com: CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide (Exam 640-802) (Certification Press) (9780071497282): Richard Deal: Books

Curious if anyone else has used it and would recommend it, or if I should consider the other book mentioned and just use this one for reference and test questions.

Also, thanks for the advice so far, I think I will feel at home here and plan on sticking around a while during my career and continued education.