FireFox 5.0 released!

wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi, FireFox 5.0 was released few days back !!! , it looks and feels the same, any body used it yet?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had enough problems after the "upgrade" that I was wondering if it was a fake malware upgrade.

I have rebooted this laptop more in the last couple days than I have over the last 6 months.

What ever it is (real or malware) it seems to function now.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've actually had more luck with IE9 than I have with Firefox lately. I never thought I would actually say that.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been running aurora (firefox 6 alpha) for a while. surprisingly stable - I don't think it's crashed once on me.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I've actually had more luck with IE9 than I have with Firefox lately. I never thought I would actually say that.

I having similar experience with FireFox. For some reason it just freezes every once and awhile and I have to close it through task manager.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I had enough problems after the "upgrade" that I was wondering if it was a fake malware upgrade.

I have rebooted this laptop more in the last couple days than I have over the last 6 months.

What ever it is (real or malware) it seems to function now.
    Can't say that I've had any problems with it. I updated to FireFox 5.0 a few days ago and have had 0 problems yet. No lockups, no reboots.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

Exactly! I ran through like five sites and checked the process before allowing the upgrade lol.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    same problem like mike. i had to disable services and go to safe mode to fix it. weird!
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What the heck, didn't 4.0 just come out? I'm still running Firefox 3.6!!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    and here to think I'm still running IE8
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    What the heck, didn't 4.0 just come out? I'm still running Firefox 3.6!!

They have switched to a fast-release schedule so they renamed the code projects, making a version of 4 into 5. They did it because there were tons of complaints about the slow releases and Google was throwing new versions of Chrome out the door like a cookie factory.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    No issues with it here. Still a diehard Firefox user ever since 1.5!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They have switched to a fast-release schedule so they renamed the code projects, making a version of 4 into 5. They did it because there were tons of complaints about the slow releases and Google was throwing new versions of Chrome out the door like a cookie factory.

Yeah I thought the same Moose

I am running Firefox 5 now and havent ran into a single problem so far (knock on wood) and its been good to me...very smooth and fast from my experience so far
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I've not had issues with it on anything I run here at home. The kids desktop does occasionally lock up, but I'm pretty sure that may have more to do with a slight user error on her part. At 4 years old, she's good, but still prone to goofing things up.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Once I made the switch to Chrome, I never looked back. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Still running 3.6 on all my systems. I think if they are trying to play catch up with Google and MS on version releases then they are bound to fudge a few things up.

I also run Iron browser on some systems.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No issues at all here. Have it running on my work machine, then 4 machines at the house. All are chugging along just fine.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had to revert from 4.0 to 3.6.18. Too many weird issues I was having.

Co-worker didn't have them though. Who knows.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Version 6 have been released a few days back ..

Still it keeps crashing for no apparent reason icon_sad.gif
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Holy necro batman!
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    Holy necro batman!

What's wrong? You reminded me of my earth-science high school teacher who said the same thing, except the necro replaces with dodo.
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's wrong? You reminded me of my earth-science high school teacher who said the same thing, except the necro replaces with dodo.

Urban Dictionary: necro-thread
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Holy necro batman!

Isn't it better to necro a thread (especially one you created) instead of creating a new one?
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Dude, there's nothing wrong with reviving an old thread that's two months old. Especially when it's completely relevant to the person's post. Firefox 6 came out right after Firefox 5, and I have to say that was pretty unusual. If you want to see some serious necro-threading on TE, check the permalinks below.

Permalink 1

Permalink 2

Now, that's what I call HOLY NECRO-THREADING! icon_lol.gif TE community, if you can find more, please enlighten this guy that you have seen worse.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best part of
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-2000-core/2787-passed.html#post531834

is how many people saw the topic of "passed" and wrote congrats. Didn't read. Didn't think "hmmm why is someone passing a 2000 exam in 2011?"

But lets try to keep this on the topic of Firefox 4/5/6. What is prompting the quick releases? Trying to beat IE to version 10?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Firefox versions 7 and 8 are due out before long: Firefox 7 add-on compatibility, and looking forward to 8 | Mozilla Add-ons Blog

Mozilla obviously isn't using the traditional version numbering scheme, otherwise they'd be on v4.2.x.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Firefox 7 is out.
    Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Nah. I'm waiting until FF 23 to upgrade again. I hear that'll be a real good'un. icon_lol.gif
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Nah. I'm waiting until FF 23 to upgrade again. I hear that'll be a real good'un. icon_lol.gif

Geez I know I cant keep with these constant version changes, I'm doing them in 5's now lol
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Geez I know I cant keep with these constant version changes, I'm doing them in 5's now lol
    If Mozilla makes a major release of FF every quarter like they have been, I'm seriously considering only upgrading only on powers of two.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Just updated to 7, can't see any difference. Still using 375MB of RAM to have 16 tabs open between 2 browser windows.