Virtualization of SQL

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hey SQL guys and girls,

At what point would you not want to virtualize your SQL? Im currently brushing up on my SharePoint 2010 and was wondering in a real world situation when would having an actual server for SQL be better than using a virtual box.

Id personally assume if you have a massive company where its being hit hard all the time it would be better to have an actual box and maybe back up to a Virtual one. Has anyone had to do the pros and cons in their job, and if so what did you choose to do?

Regards
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would check Brent Ozar's blog. He has some very good guidelines on SQL Server virtualization. I'll try to find some links to post for you.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Speaking from the VMware point of view, there are a couple of cases in which I wouldn't virtualize SQL:

If the system requirements are very high, such that you wouldn't be able to run many more VM's on the host(s), then it might not be cost-effective to virtualize SQL Server

If you require Microsoft Failover Clustering, it is a pain in the butt to virtualize and maintain in VMware.

Performance-wise, at least in VMware, you'll do fine virtualizing SQL Server, assuming you have the appropriately sized hardware.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...