CISSP Question

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
what type of certification is the CISSP? Is it very technical in the sense that a CCIE or Microsoft level certification? Or is it an in-depth security certification? The reason why I ask is the fact I see a lot of non technical management have CISSP's and when I see it required for a hands on technical position I'm curious to as why? In depth looks in security? Or is their something more?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    It has become an HR buzz word. It is much more of a management certificate and very technical. It's funny when I see an ad for a CISSP/GSE starting at $50k. CISSP, yeah 50k is about right. GSE? Are there even 100 of them yet?

It is a pretty good security management cert that is not technical that HR folks who don't have a clue want. GSE is the technical cert.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CISSP is more in the business and management realm, but it does require the exam candidate to understand many technical concepts, like internal software design and operation, IP packet switched networks, concepts of cryptography, etc. There is only a little bit of arithmetic too.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The CISSP is more in the business and management realm, but it does require the exam candidate to understand many technical concepts, like internal software design and operation, IP packet switched networks, concepts of cryptography, etc. There is only a little bit of arithmetic too.

Thank you for the information :)