11000 pages in 2011, how are you doing?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I'm sorry I'm not replying to the original thread, but I was wondering how you guys are doing with your reading goals for this year. Several of us committed to 11,000. There are only 4 months left in the year, but we can still get MUCH done and it is not too late to meet this goal.

You can see from my sig (just now updated) that I have reached 8,123 pages. As much as I love reading this has been a struggle to keep up with, but it has been worth it.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I read Atlas Shrugged, so that's about 1052 pages icon_wink.gif
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I don't update until I finish the book, and I have 3 books in my CCENT studies I have 1 chapter here, 2 chapters there, etc to finish, so it will make my total jump, but until they quit offering so much OT here, I'll mainly focus on overtime instead of studying.. at least until I get out of this money hole
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I must have read about 3000 pages, maybe more as I dont know how much of a website page counts as a page. I read a lot of TechNet, dunno how much that might come to.

11000 pages is a damn tough ask if you ask me, if you are juggling work, family life, certs and study time. Next year, we'll be upto 12000 pages, doesnt get any easier, does it?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Essendon wrote: »
    I must have read about 3000 pages, maybe more as I dont know how much of a website page counts as a page. I read a lot of TechNet, dunno how much that might come to.

11000 pages is a damn tough ask if you ask me, if you are juggling work, family life, certs and study time. Next year, we'll be upto 12000 pages, doesnt get any easier, does it?

I won't be trying to read 12000 pages in 2012 lol....the only reason I'm reading 11k this year is because I committed to it to begin with. I'm in total agreement with you.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't join the challenge (I don't think...) but I have been shooting for it as a goal. I read all 7 Harry Potter, 5 Peter Pan/Starcatcher books (~500 pg each), 2 King Killer (~800 pages each), 10 Goosebumps (80 pages each). I've also read tons of RPG books, magazines, and VMware documentation so I'm closer than I give myself credit for.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm not replying to the original thread, but I was wondering how you guys are doing with your reading goals for this year. Several of us committed to 11,000. There are only 4 months left in the year, but we can still get MUCH done and it is not too late to meet this goal.

You can see from my sig (just now updated) that I have reached 8,123 pages. As much as I love reading this has been a struggle to keep up with, but it has been worth it.

Don't struggle. Quality over quantity. Speed reading doesn't help you digest topics that require reflection and elapsed time. Also, many folks really dont have a lot of time on their hands.

All that said, if you insist on reading 11,000 pages in a year, good luck!
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I just joined this forum not to long ago and didn't have a set goal in mind, however, in June and July I read 3300 pages in studying for the CISSP. That doesn't include the 800 or so practice questions on cccure. I can't even remember all the books I've read this year. Well, I remember them, just not sure if I read them this year or last. I would estimate 2500 pages in Jan and Feb. I started a new job in March so nothing in March or April. May probably around 500 pages. So that puts me at 6300. I just got the CEHv7 courseware, that will add 1500 pages. About 100 pages into Counter Hack Reloaded, 600 or so to go. I should finish those by the end of September putting me at 8500. Three months to read 2500 pages? not a problem. Still have Wireshark to finish and Metasploit and NMap to start.

I've never sat down and added up how I read in a year. Makes me feel even more like a nerd. Here I was trying for geek, oh well.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    To be completely honest, I find it very difficult to read unless I am very into the topic/storyline. I have only read 7 novels in my entire life (The Resident Evil Series).

Other than that, I have only read self-study texts on subjects I am passionate about, which is ALOT.

I find that if I start a book and I am not drawn in by the end of the first chapter, I will walk away from it and never pick it back up.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I find that if I start a book and I am not drawn in by the end of the first chapter, I will walk away from it and never pick it back up.

I was actually the same way until I started reading Michael Crichton. Most of his books start out slow and then after about 100 pages pick up. Robert Heinlein and William Gibson are my 2 current faves.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ehnde wrote: »
    I won't be trying to read 12000 pages in 2012 lol....the only reason I'm reading 11k this year is because I committed to it to begin with. I'm in total agreement with you.

Well,

The goal was really for 10K per year. Someone or several someone's decided to make the thousand part match the year...so '11 and hence 11K to read. However, the spirit of this was to get folks to read (websites didn't count initially) but to read what works out to be 28 pages a day or 39 pages if you wanted a break on weekends. Typically, and it depends on the content, this works out to about 1 hour a day (or less) or reading.

As far as comment made about reading Harry Potter books, while I throughly enjoyed these when I read them, the reading level is pretty low and my kid read them at 6 years old, so enjoy the light read, but I would recommend not to let all the 10K (or 11K) be kid books. If that were the case, I'm surprised the gentlemen on the forum hadn't commented about their P-B Magazine...becaue I hear the 'articles' are fantastic ;)

I am on track for completing 10K. I will likely exceed that by 3 or 4K, but I read a ton and feel it is important so time is made to read. Plus, without television, there is so much more time in the day...:) icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm at just over 7000 pages, not counting what I've read out of what I'm currently working on.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agreed mostly just so that I would keep track, knowing that I would never reach 11k. As others have already said, I do a lot of reading on the web that would be too difficult to keep track of. I also use a lot of my study time labbing and watching videos rather than racking up pages.

This might go up in the near future. Poulton's 682 and Gibson's 685/686 are going to be delivered today. I also have the powershell cookbook arriving on Friday plus my course books for the semester (a couple e-discovery books and a forensic data analysis book).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    O'reilly got a lot of purchases from me this year since they offer direct epub support besides PDF's. My Excel spreadsheet says that I am at roughly 13,400. I read on my treadmill and stationary bike quite a bit and read seven days a week.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will be happy with 1000 pages this year.