Options

70-432... should I go for it or not?

bullbull Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello...

As you can see I'm new to the forums. I just found out about techexams yesterday while going through some stuff related to the exam that I'm intending to take soon... or maybe not?

The exam I'm preparing for is 70-432 TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenanc. After reading the forums yesterday and going through a few topics related to that exam i lost my motivation... People say it's very hard, very detailed and specific and also that you probably need Windows Server Admin first... It really made me sad icon_sad.gif.

So far I went through a Relational Database course at my University (I'm a University student) which didn't really teach me any administration whatsoever. It was focused on Relational Theory and writing queries in T-SQL. Few days ago I've finished this IT-Academy course set: Collection 6369: Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (TS). The next thing I'm planning is the Self Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-432 by Microsoft (book) and maybe the free webcasts or virtual labs (thats if I'm going to continue).

To be quite honest I'm not really sure if I want to be an Administrator or Developer. So my plan was to go for both of the exams. Maybe I should have went with 70-433 first... Or just don't bother at all because they're meant for people with 1+ year experience in SQL Server anyway.

I really don't know what to do. If I knew that going through 1-2 more books and watching some webcasts or videos would get me through the exams then I would definitely go for it. But I'm not sure of that after what I've read on this forum. Thats why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks in advance for every reply!

PS. Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes. English is not my native language. I'm from Poland.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bull wrote: »
    Hello...

As you can see I'm new to the forums. I just found out about techexams yesterday while going through some stuff related to the exam that I'm intending to take soon... or maybe not?

The exam I'm preparing for is 70-432 TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenanc. After reading the forums yesterday and going through a few topics related to that exam i lost my motivation... People say it's very hard, very detailed and specific and also that you probably need Windows Server Admin first... It really made me sad icon_sad.gif.

So far I went through a Relational Database course at my University (I'm a University student) which didn't really teach me any administration whatsoever. It was focused on Relational Theory and writing queries in T-SQL. Few days ago I've finished this IT-Academy course set: Collection 6369: Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (TS). The next thing I'm planning is the Self Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-432 by Microsoft (book) and maybe the free webcasts or virtual labs (thats if I'm going to continue).

To be quite honest I'm not really sure if I want to be an Administrator or Developer. So my plan was to go for both of the exams. Maybe I should have went with 70-433 first... Or just don't bother at all because they're meant for people with 1+ year experience in SQL Server anyway.

I really don't know what to do. If I knew that going through 1-2 more books and watching some webcasts or videos would get me through the exams then I would definitely go for it. But I'm not sure of that after what I've read on this forum. Thats why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks in advance for every reply!

PS. Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes. English is not my native language. I'm from Poland.

I would not say don't bother. These exams are difficult. If you have no practical experience then I would suggest about 6 months of practical lab and study. If they were easy and anyone could pass them after learning some theory and reading some books they would not be very worth while...

For the DBA exams I think it's a good idea to have the knowledge from the server admin exams - you don't need the cert or even to do the amount of study required to pass the server admin exams - a good introduction is probably enough.

You don't really need that for the DB Developer exam. But the developer exam is T-SQL, not just relational theory. So you will need to know more than just how to work with PKs and FKs or how to write a JOIN.