Transfer DHCP scope from 2008R2 to 2003

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Pretty good Technet article on if you should ever need to move a DHCP scope from a 2008R2 box to a 2003 server (like I just had to do)

Downgrade DHCP database (scope) from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 2003
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Just out of interest - why would you need to?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    Just out of interest - why would you need to?

You could just disable the scope on the 2008 box and create a new one on the 2003. But when human interaction is involved, there is a potential for error.

Reason you might need to is because the 2008 server is going down for some sort of maintnance and the only other alternative is a 2003 server.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Well, how long would the main one be down? You could set up a DHCP cluster.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For us, we only have one DHCP server in the lab (no point in setting up a cluster). It was sitting on an old piece of hardware and the other day we took some sort of odd power hit (even though it is on UPS') and somehow the OS got corrupted. Just the other week I was playing with exporting the DHCP scope from the 2003 to a 2008R2 box (in anticipation of some hardware changes coming up). When the old server was toast, I just enabled the ethernet link on the vm I was testing on and voila we were cooking. I rebuilt the 2003 box (since the 2008R2 vm was sitting on a laptop) so it could be back on the UPS' - but I had to export the DHCP scope from the 2008R2 server to the 2003 one.

So that is why I did it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Interesting, done several 2003 to 2008, but never the other way around.