Concerned Question Part 2

Rampage2884Rampage2884 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I just got a few more questions that confuse me a bit, rather simple though guys.

1)Which dma channel does soundcard use?

2)What would cause little white dots on the screen?

bad video card
bad memory
bad crt

One quick other question, will the core test also refer to extened memory or things of this nature? Because I seen a few practice tests that refered to these type of questions and I dont recall seeing anything like that in the Mike Myers books.

Thanks guys

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Q1 - depends 0 = none, 2 = floppy drive, 1,3,5,6,7 are all open for use.
    A quick check of my 2 9x boxes shows DMA 5, but that is because the default soundblaster resources are IRQ5 and 16 bit DMA 5 or 8 bit DMA 1.
    You are more likely to have IRQ conflicts than DMA on a half way modern system as not many devices use classic DMA. Mostly older sound cards and floppy drives.

Q2 - could be maybe a broken pin, faulty monitor, faulty vidoe card or a bad video driver. My gut feeling would be to replace the vidoe driver first and if no success try another vid card.

Extended memory - yes I think you may get questions on this. Probably along the line of.

Above what level is considered extended memory.
    a. .5 MB
    b. 1 MB
    c. 5 MB
    d. 10 MB
    e. 50MB

And of course we know it is 1 MB. Plus it is only available on an PC with a 80286 or higher processor. Hmmm - anyone have anything older than that??? :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Just to amend.. memory architecture is not covered in Core, but it is in O/S. For Core you should know the packaging and naming (168 pin DIMM, 184 pin RIMM).

There are a couple posts floating around covering expanded and extended memory. Do a search for either term.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Rampage2884Rampage2884 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright thanks guys.

Actually I just came across another question.

In a wide SCSI configuration, the priority is 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8. Does that mean the host adapter will take ID 7 or will it take the highest ID in the configuration, which would be 15 in this case?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Usually not the host adapter, that's often preset to ID 0.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/scsi.shtml
    Webmaster wrote:
    Usually not the host adapter, that's often preset to ID 0.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/scsi.shtml

The way I interpreted the information in the link, 7 would be the ID the host adapter will take, no matter if it is either a narrow or wide configuratoion, right or wrong?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sorry for me confusing you icon_redface.gif I've misread my own TechNote.

yes you are correct.
    Don't worry about it. Thanks though for clearing things up.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i agree with lazyart, number of pins, etc is "core", "extended vs expanded, etc" is operating systems ;)
    A+ Moderator