What is considered average for upload speeds?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've noticed that I only get between .35 to .40 Mbps for my upload speed. Would you guys consider that slow or average for a home connection?

1448664563.png

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I believe the technical term for that is "pisspoor."

I would call average at least a few megabits.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I believe the technical term for that is "pisspoor."

I would call average at least a few megabits.
    Thanks, I thought about calling TWC but I know that they could care less. I just checked the speed at a workplace on a "business class" service and the best they get is .71 Mbps, better but not great.
    Well I got bored and had a chat with a rep and he said that my average upload speed should be 384 Kbps,gotta love your local ISP monopoly . . .

I wish that I could get on the new fiber connection that's being setup in my state (the fiber line is just up by the highway, but it's not currently being offered to end-users, although it will be in the future) http://www.broadbandexpert.com/blog/high-speed-internet/broadband/virtual-groundbreaking-announces-north-carolina-broadband-expansion/
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was troubleshooting an Internet connection for a customer last night, the TWC moron on the other end of the phone didn't seem to think it was a problem for his business-class customer to only be getting 50K upload speeds. I hate hate hate hate hate hate Time Warner.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I get 726k up just from my Droid3 3G. And 3.3mb up from my iPad on my home wifi.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Upload is not a huge concern with broadband connections, even "business" class broadband. I have 20 down and 5 up (i really get 5 up which is impressive) but of course, the DSL home office is within walking distance. Distance to home office is the biggest determinant factor in upload speeds.
    Uploading saps your entire connection. Important when you're trying to game and the wife is putting 30 pictures on Facebook.
    I also decided to contact Time Warner Cable (via their text chat) to get them to replace a battery backup for one of their upstream devices so I don't loose Internet/VoiP connectivity when the power will most likely go out when the hurricane hits. The "tech" kept saying that the problem is the battery in the "digital phone" . . . I'll try calling the local TWC office tomorrow.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yuck! Those tests are rarely accurate anymore, since most broadband providers have that "Speed Boost" crap that skews the results. Unfortunately for you, they are usually shown higher than they actually are, so you may be getting less than that!

1451270942.png

Those are my results from right now, I have a few things using bandwidth at the moment too. Upload always comes out about the same, download I've seen it as high as 82Mbps.

Real world use shows 24Mbps down and 4Mbps up, which is what I should have with the way I have things setup right now.
    Everyone wrote: »
    Yuck! Those tests are rarely accurate anymore, since most broadband providers have that "Speed Boost" crap that skews the results. Unfortunately for you, they are usually shown higher than they actually are, so you may be getting less than that!

1451270942.png

Those are my results from right now, I have a few things using bandwidth at the moment too. Upload always comes out about the same, download I've seen it as high as 82Mbps.

Real world use shows 24Mbps down and 4Mbps up, which is what I should have with the way I have things setup right now.

I do indeed often get less that the speedtest result when downloading files.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The internet I have at home claims to be 1.5 Mbps down and 800k up. I haven't tested in awhile.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    exampasser wrote: »

Persistent FTP (300 GB files) on comcast averages 768 down and about the same up. That is on their 100/50 service. On my home 20/5 service I do about 2.1 down and 1.4 up. Thats the difference between speed indicated by speedboost (Comcast) and speed not gained by speed boost, which happens to be VDSL2.2 on CenturyLink.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First attempt
    1452197242.png

Second one when I realized I was downloading during the first one.

1452201523.png

for my ISP in Tokyo. This is my home setup, not that great tbh
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    exampasser wrote: »

Remember, you can only download something as fast as someone else can send it to you. A highend server out of silicon valley versus an Atari in a Nigerian hut will produce different results.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    These are my results from this morning:

1st attempt

1452583053.png

2nd attempt

1452585696.png

However I have been known to get around the 700-750Kbps for uploads.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no average upload speed it is dependent on the region of the world you are in. The average upload speed in Tokyo is much higher than the average upload speed in the Congo.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology