Just passed CCNA, Now What?

crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I took and passed ICND2 and wanted to write a note of thanks to all the members participating in the CCNA forum. I'm a complete lurker of these forums (as you can see from my post count icon_lol.gif) but some of the reading I've done, recommendations of various folks, links, etc have proven invaluable for my study prep. So thanks to everyone.

Now the questions becomes, what cert next? I'm currently enrolled at WGU and working on A+ as part of my degree (security track), but I've got some money set aside for a non-degree track cert. My future career aspirations are leaning towards somewhere in the security field (pen testing, forensics, who knows). However, I currently work in a retail environment doing tech type work. Not exactly IT. So I'm looking to get my foot in the door somewhere doing, anything...help desk, desktop support, junior system admin, IT gopher, whatever. I just need some IT experience on my resume / can't stand retail anymore.

So what do you think would help me secure more interviews for entry level IT jobs? Obviously I know you don't get a job, any job, based on a certification. My hope is my passion for technology and my level of knowledge shine in an interview...if only I could get some.

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Congratulations!

Maybe CCNA security , Linux+ , Security+

Programming language maybe python or c.
    Python is great as can do scripts or compiled programs.
    Much nicer syntax than bash and a lot more powerful.
    Great for automating admin scripts.Available on all mainstream os.
    Used it in a past work project for visitor monitoring by detecting smart phones via bluetooth and wifi.

Python for Unix and Linux System Administration
    Python for Unix and Linux System Administration - O'Reilly Media

Python for system administrators
    Python for system administrators

Considered volunteering your time to do the IT for a community organisation
    to get experience ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have two logical choices: One is to pursue certifications in the area of networking:
    - Professional level (CCNP) Cisco certifications,
    - Juniper certifications
    and the second is to prepare for Systems administration. The systems admin certs include
    -Microsoft MCSA/MCSE,
    -CompTIA Linux+, and other Linux certifications (like Red Hat Certified Engineer RHCE).

If you want to keep your job options open, it is suggested to go for systems administration side (having completed CCNA).

Wish you good luck!
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    asoft wrote: »
    You have two logical choices: One is to pursue certifications in the area of networking:
    - Professional level (CCNP) Cisco certifications,
    - Juniper certifications
    and the second is to prepare for Systems administration. The systems admin certs include
    -Microsoft MCSA/MCSE,
    -CompTIA Linux+, and other Linux certifications (like Red Hat Certified Engineer RHCE).

If you want to keep your job options open, it is suggested to go for systems administration side (having completed CCNA).

Wish you good luck!

Why is it suggested to go for sysadmin to keep job options open? I'm just curious because I've been doing sysadmin duties for sometime and wish to do only networking roles now.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked into attempting an internship?
    In pursuit of CCNA:SECURITY; CCNP; THEN MCSE
  • crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working full-time and going to school not sure where I'd find time to do volunteering or an intership.

I like networking quite a bit. I may consider CCNP or CCNA security (though I already will be getting Security+ through WGU).

I'll be taking the windows 7 configuring exam as part of my degree. Perhaps I'll take one of the other tests that match with it to get one of the MS certs.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Why is it suggested to go for sysadmin to keep job options open? I'm just curious because I've been doing sysadmin duties for sometime and wish to do only networking roles now.

Well it looks like he's trying to get a job and being able to do both makes you much more valuable. In small to medium businesses IT guys play both roles quite often.

I'd assume that's what he was implying.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Working full-time and going to school not sure where I'd find time to do volunteering or an intership.

I like networking quite a bit. I may consider CCNP or CCNA security (though I already will be getting Security+ through WGU).

I'll be taking the windows 7 configuring exam as part of my degree. Perhaps I'll take one of the other tests that match with it to get one of the MS certs.

If you're doing the WGU track that I'm thinking of, passing the 70-680 will give you the MCP and I believe an MCTS? Doing either the 70-685 to 70-686 will give you MCITP for desktop support. A lot of the entry level jobs I see posted are looking for MCP so passing that 70-680 will be pretty good for getting your foot in the door. But by all means, if you want the MCITP go for it.