Backup Exec Alternatives

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know that someone asked this question in 2009 but I was wondering what other solutions you guys/girls might be using in enterprise environments.

Especially for backuping up Mixed Windows/*nix environments. Including MS Exchange and SQL DB's.

Comments

• qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Avamar! Great tool!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use HP Data Protector and we do Exchange and SQL too, does the job I guess. One thing I dont like about is the lack of a search function which can let you find a file you want to restore. I'm told this will be enabled in the next release, but who knows.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I used both Netbackup and Legato NetWorker, they both work just fine.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I used both Netbackup and Legato NetWorker, they both work just fine.

Netbackup and BackupExec are both owned by Symantec now, and they both share a lot of code.

It's been a long time since I had to use Legato, but I couldn't stand it when I did.

CommVault is another big player in this arena.

Pick your poison really.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    At my previous job I worked for several years with NetBackup in a mixed Windows & Unix environment including SQL, Oracle, Exchange and VMware integration. Learned to love the thing. New job uses BackupExec.

Are you having any particular problem with BackupExec?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    qcomer wrote: »
    Avamar! Great tool!

Avamar is a great option but comes with an even greater price. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that Backup Exec (or NetBackup) is the least crappy of the remaining options.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    At my previous job I worked for several years with NetBackup in a mixed Windows & Unix environment including SQL, Oracle, Exchange and VMware integration. Learned to love the thing. New job uses BackupExec.

Are you having any particular problem with BackupExec?

No, The reason I ask is because BackupExec is so damn expensive and on top of that im the only one in my office that knows it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    No, The reason I ask is because BackupExec is so damn expensive and on top of that im the only one in my office that knows it.

That leaves NetBackup and Avamar out of the equation then.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That leaves NetBackup and Avamar out of the equation then.

Are they that expensive?

I'm not opposed to something like Bacula as long as it handles MS Exchange and SQL backups
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Are they that expensive?

I'm not opposed to something like Bacula as long as it handles MS Exchange and SQL backups

Out of curiosity, what is so expensive about Backup Exec? It sounds like you already have it and the support and maintenance aren't that much per year.

Avamar is probably 20x+ more expensive than Backup Exec; at least on initial cost.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is so expensive about Backup Exec? It sounds like you already have it and the support and maintenance aren't that much per year.

Avamar is probably 20x+ more expensive than Backup Exec; at least on initial cost.

The reason for this is that my previous co-worker did a bunch of sketchy things and we are now really oversubscribed and have a old version deployed. Now that we need to purchase a new tape drive we decided to look into alternatives.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    Netbackup and BackupExec are both owned by Symantec now, and they both share a lot of code.

It's been a long time since I had to use Legato, but I couldn't stand it when I did.

CommVault is another big player in this arena.

Pick your poison really.

icon_scratch.gif mmm I don't know, they all get the job done..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• geek12geek12 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We use Handy Backup Server, it's a reliable enterprise software solution for Exchange and SQL Server backup.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    We currently use BackupExec, but I am getting ready to deploy System Center Essentials w/DPM (Microsoft Data Protection Manager) next week. With SCE we got DPM for free, so worth it to us to use and drop Symantec. We are keeping SonaSoft Exchange for Exchange backup, as DPM doesn't allow item level restore quickly (point and click).
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    I have used Backup Exec which is not too bad. Arc Serve which is just poor. Data Protector which is good when set up up properly. They all have there plus and minus points. For me I think that either data protector or backupup exec would be best for you. But thats just my opinion. And just an after thought you could train up your colleagues to use backupexec for extra brownie points with your boss. icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    For a less expensive option, I'm really fond of Novabackup. Just be sure you get a license that includes updates. Easy to set up, works well, fairly idiot-proof.

If you're adventurous and want to try an open-source solution, there's Amanda/Zmanda.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    We currently use BackupExec, but I am getting ready to deploy System Center Essentials w/DPM (Microsoft Data Protection Manager) next week. With SCE we got DPM for free, so worth it to us to use and drop Symantec. We are keeping SonaSoft Exchange for Exchange backup, as DPM doesn't allow item level restore quickly (point and click).

Item level restore shouldn't drive your backup concerns and technologies. Just set your dumpster item recovery time to like 30 days. Then recover single items out of OWA if someone hard deletes something. Exchange 2007/2010 can do single item restores using a recovery storage group. Remember, MS does not support ANY recovery options other than a recovery storage group.