help me pick a tablet

blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
amidst the HP tablet frenzy I have found myself interested in purchasing a table to help with my studying needs.

I would find it convenient for me to have a portable light weight device that would play wmv. files ex. cbt nuggets.

I am thinking of buying the ipad 2 but from experience can someone recommend a good table to use for viewing videos and reading text

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ipad 2 can be problematic when using it for studies because of the lack of flash and many training vids are recorded in flash players as well as ebooks on flash-paper

you may wanna look at a eee pad transformer with or with out the keyboard dock its not ultra thin but it has nice ports and the ability to add a keyboard turning it into a netbook (with the keyboard ya get like 14 hours battery)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks i will definitely check that out
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how bout BN's nook tablet? Anybody got any reviews on that?

Is Nook2Android worth it?
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Nook is a very good tablet once you add Nook2Android. However, considering it is 225-250 and the card will cost you another 30, I'd spend another 100 and grab a transformer as it is over twice as powerful and much more future proof. I love my nook color, but it cannot compete as a pure android tablet with the transformer.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
    yea im just saving up for one my self

just dont know if i would need it or just want it
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CBT nuggets need to have a special app. I know they have it for iOS but I'm not sure about andoid. I know for certain that the touchpad doesn't have it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    my friend has given me a couple series of CBT nuggets, which I play with windows media. would it not play on the eee tranformer?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    CBT nuggets need to have a special app. I know they have it for iOS but I'm not sure about andoid. I know for certain that the touchpad doesn't have it.
    My Android Asus Transformer tablet has the CBT Nuggets app installed and running on it...
    on there faq they say its in market so what ever tab ya pick you need to make sure it has full andriod market

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/faqs/1/2
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blackberry wrote: »
    my friend has given me a couple series of CBT nuggets, which I play with windows media. would it not play on the eee tranformer?

Thats called pirated videos.
    My Android Asus Transformer tablet has the CBT Nuggets app installed and running on it...

Thanks for the heads up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    A few of my friends have picked up the Transformer, they seem to like it. I liked it too and would probably get one if I felt the need for a tablet.
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Wow. I have been looking at the Asus transformer 10.1 all weekend and reading reviews on Amazon & Youtube. This would really help me study more.
  • BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How does the transformer compare to the ipad 2 with apps and such?
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I have the first gen iPad. Flash websites use iSwifter, VNC so you can remote into your lab, use iTap RDP, to ssh or telnet into your lab, iSSH, to console into routers and switches, use Get Console, and finally to read pdf's, use Good Reader.

I was lucky enough to get VLC player before the dev pulled it. (thats right the dev pulled it not apple) CBT nuggets app if you have the subscription.

Best investment I have made for studying on the go.

I forgot to mention, Safari Books app, lets you keep one on the iPad to read offline.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i just wish the ipad can be used to crack WEP! ahhh that would be awesome. They came close with iWEP and iPeedTouched, but it is not a true cracking device since they do not know how to capture packets yet.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • factory81factory81 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is no contest. It is ipad or...ipad.

The Android platform is not tablet ready unfortunately.

I would take a 16gb Ipad 2 Wi-Fi over a fully loaded Galaxy Tab any day.
    nerdydad wrote: »
    I have the first gen iPad. Flash websites use iSwifter, VNC so you can remote into your lab, use iTap RDP, to ssh or telnet into your lab, iSSH, to console into routers and switches, use Get Console, and finally to read pdf's, use Good Reader.

I was lucky enough to get VLC player before the dev pulled it. (thats right the dev pulled it not apple) CBT nuggets app if you have the subscription.

Best investment I have made for studying on the go.

I forgot to mention, Safari Books app, lets you keep one on the iPad to read offline.

All of which can just as easily be done on any Android device :P
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
    the issue i have the iPads are

1 no flash (i know work arounds ect but not always good)
    2 apple can pull apps if they want to
    3 no expantion ports
    4 cost
    5 speed
    6 no widgets

android tabs have the normal tab apps as well as the ability to port almost any linux program to it, and androids have more user controll for advanced users
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    newmove wrote: »
    Wow. I have been looking at the Asus transformer 10.1 all weekend and reading reviews on Amazon & Youtube. This would really help me study more.

At first, I was trying to decipher if this was a joke about spending so much time looking at the device instead of studying, or if the device was actually going to be used as a study aid. :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    If you've got the money, get the Transformer or a Galaxy Tab.

If you're tight on funds, I hear the Archos 101 is an excellent tablet.

If you're scraping the bottom of the budget barrel, get Sylvania or Coby Kyros. You'll have to do more tweaking with these, but they're great once you have everything set up.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    All of which can just as easily be done on any Android device :P

I was not aware of a way to console into routers and switches on Android.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Transformer and I love it. I will admit the iPad has more apps that are made for tablets, but the Transformer gets the job done. If you are seriously considering going with an Android tab though, you should try and hold out for a month or so. The new Transformer is supposed to hit this fall and its going to be the first tablet with the Nvidia Kal-El processor in it. You could either spring for the new shiny one or you could probably get a deal on the current generation if you waited.
    :study:
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    factory81 wrote: »
    There is no contest. It is ipad or...ipad.

The Android platform is not tablet ready unfortunately.

I would take a 16gb Ipad 2 Wi-Fi over a fully loaded Galaxy Tab any day.

You have clearly never used an Android tablet.
    :study:
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    You have clearly never used an Android tablet.
    Agreed!! I tested both and an Android Tablet runs circles around and IPad without having to be tied to the Itunes store for everything!!

I recently picked up a 32GB ACER A500 Tablet at Costco and am very happy with it. Just added a 8GB micro SD chip to it and will add a larger 32gb one when the price drops some more.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    I have a Transformer and I love it. I will admit the iPad has more apps that are made for tablets, but the Transformer gets the job done. If you are seriously considering going with an Android tab though, you should try and hold out for a month or so. The new Transformer is supposed to hit this fall and its going to be the first tablet with the Nvidia Kal-El processor in it. You could either spring for the new shiny one or you could probably get a deal on the current generation if you waited.

Not to mention it should be the first tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich, which is supposed to blow Honeycomb away in terms of tablet support and multi cpu support.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Jack2 wrote: »
    Agreed!! I tested both and an Android Tablet runs circles around and IPad without having to be tied to the Itunes store for everything!!

Yeah, but then you might end up stuck with the Android Market instead.

I love Android tablets, but dealing with a non-licensed build that doesn't run Android Market can be a pain.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    New Android-Kindle Tablet comes out this fall. Includes 3G. Only 200 bucks. I'd go with that.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I kind of want to hold out to see what the Transformer II looks like...