Options

PAT vs NAT

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I seem to be having some confusion here...

I get the difference between PAT and NAT, but Juniper seems to over complicate where/when you would use each. Obviously NAT is for one to one, one to many, etc.....but in what instance would you use PAT?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    NAT is one to one. PAT is many to one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NAT is one to one. PAT is many to one.

Hmmm maybe my Nat/pat understanding is off...thanks for the reply though
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hmmm maybe my Nat/pat understanding is off...thanks for the reply though
    It's confusing b/c everyone calls it NAT when they usually mean PAT.

There's Static NAT, Dynamic NAT and PAT (or NAT Overloading).

Static NAT is a one to one mapping. Each private host consumes one external IP.

Dynamic NAT is kind of like DHCP. You configure a pool of public addresses. Private hosts make a connection and the router hands out the first available public IP. Once the pool is filled, no more private hosts can be translated. When a connection goes stale, an IP is returned to the pool.

PAT is what most people mean when they say NAT. Each private connection to the outside is mapped to a public IP + port combination. So even with one public IP, you could have several private hosts using the same public IP.

Static = one to one
    Dynamic = many to many on a one to one basis
    PAT = one to many

Most likely, you'd end up doing static (an internet facing server) or PAT (a group of client machines on a subnet).
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Excellent clarification!! I noticed that Cisco refers to PAT as "overloading" which is probably why Juniper calling it PAT is confusing me. Makes a lot more sense now, just have figure out the Juniper specifics for configuration. Thanks.