Overlap between ICND1 and ICND2

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hey guys,

A refreshing observation really...I used Odom's ICND1 book and now I'm using his ICND2 book and I'm noticing quite a bit of overlap. It's great because I'm moving through the content much faster than I had anticipated, as there is either repeated information or I have a solid foundation in a topic which I'm building on top of.

Anyone notice they moved through ICND2 faster than ICND1?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Hmmm, kind of. I know there's a chapter (I think 4?) that is a lot of refresher. Most of the topics are rather new from moving out of ICND1.

STP / VTP / VLANS / EIGRP / OSPF / Frame Relay / ACL / Authentication (authentication you should be well versed on from those ICND1 Boson questions, lol!). None of this overlapped.

I've been been grasping a lot of it quite easily, and that probably has a bit to do with how much I studied and had down with my ICND1 prep. Having VLSM stuff down during ICND1 seems like it will make things easier in the long run.

I'm getting busier at work and have a ton of real life obligations that have been messing with my studying quite a bit. Been waiting on my access server to arrive so I can start pounding away at some labs, only to find out last night that it hasn't shipped and is delayed for who knows how long because of the hurricane (getting a refund and buying elsewhere).
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Hmmm, kind of. I know there's a chapter (I think 4?) that is a lot of refresher. Most of the topics are rather new from moving out of ICND1.

STP / VTP / VLANS / EIGRP / OSPF / Frame Relay / ACL / Authentication (authentication you should be well versed on from those ICND1 Boson questions, lol!). None of this overlapped.

Yes, all of the above is new. I've knocked off STP and VTP/VLANS. You're right, the PAP/CHAP stuff is in the bag! I'm looking forward to ACL's and OSPF in particular.

Chapters 3 (Troubleshooting) and 4 (Conntected/Static routes) overlap a lot. There's another Troubleshooting Routing chapter which I'm sure will contain some overlap too.

I'm into Chapter 5, VLSM and Route route summarization. It's certainly easier when you have solid knowledge of subnetting, I'm moving through this chapter quite quickly.

Hoping to knock out ICND2 by the first week of December at the latest.

Cool re your Access Server!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    wave wrote: »
    Yes, all of the above is new. I've knocked off STP and VTP/VLANS. You're right, the PAP/CHAP stuff is in the bag! I'm looking forward to ACL's and OSPF in particular.

Chapters 3 (Troubleshooting) and 4 (Conntected/Static routes) overlap a lot. There's another Troubleshooting Routing chapter which I'm sure will contain some overlap too.

I'm into Chapter 5, VLSM and Route route summarization. It's certainly easier when you have solid knowledge of subnetting, I'm moving through this chapter quite quickly.

Hoping to knock out ICND2 by the first week of December at the latest.

Cool re your Access Server!

Yeah I've been pounding away the VLAN / VTP / STP stuff before I move on to layer 3. I had initially just watched CBT nuggets through and was reading quickly and I realized I couldn't just burn through it like I did the CCENT stuff.

I have a feeling once I start labbing things will sink in a lot more. The reading is cluttered with a lot of commands and I haven't even touched my equipment yet, so I think that's part of my problem.

And access server is scrapped. Not going to waste the money. I'll put it towards exsim-max when I get a bit further in my studies. I'm shooting for mid October to sit for ICND2.
    Yeah the labbing is essential. I read the full VTP chapter, then labbed harcore, then did the same with STP. I setup a router on a stick for the first time yesterday, I was surprised how easy it was.

When I lab, I setup everything from the ground up, including ssh, logging synchronous, set access ports, trunks...then once I've finished I delete all of the configs and do it all again.

The real test will be when I start doing the Odom/Boson practice tests.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    wave wrote: »
    Yeah the labbing is essential. I read the full VTP chapter, then labbed harcore, then did the same with STP. I setup a router on a stick for the first time yesterday, I was surprised how easy it was.

When I lab, I setup everything from the ground up, including ssh, logging synchronous, set access ports, trunks...then once I've finished I delete all of the configs and do it all again.

The real test will be when I start doing the Odom/Boson practice tests.

Yeah that's my plan. To wipe all my switches and build from the ground up and mess around with STP/VTP and VLANS.

I have off from this Saturday to next Sunday and I plan on labbing every day all day. Planning on getting in 100ish hours of lab time and then start pounding away at the books. I'd like to push up my mid October test date icon_wink.gif
    Yeah I really need to get mine done before December 15th because then I go on vacation for a month, which would kill my study plan.

I wish I worked with someone who could break my config once I had everything setup properly, that would give me some extra t-shooting practice.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    You and me both ;P

I usually end up entering in wrong commands by mistake and have to trouble shoot it myself. Try doing configs from memory and not from a lab print out or book.