Monsters, Dice, Craigslist??

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
I'm not really looking for a new job, but I was just curious as to how you guys rate these sites

Personally, I've had the most success with Craigslist. Basically, my last 4 jobs have come from Craigslist whereas Monsters, Dice, and CareerBuilder have gotten me interviews, but not much else.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Craiglist is sorta weak in my area, Monster is just plain awful and I don't use it. Had success with Dice (my current job) and I usually go to the various companies sites in the area to see if they have anything open. Also, my college has a site for current and former students where various companies post. Got a couple of interviews from there and 1 job offer.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dice has helped me get my current job too. Monster and Craigslist got me nothing.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had success with Monster, Dice, and Careerbuilder (I think)

Never tried Craigslist.
  • rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    indeed and simplyhired are where I found my current help desk position. They are also where I was able to get my other interviews at as well. Never had any luck on dice or monster.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I like Craigslist better as usually, the posting include an actual email that I could send my resume to. Most posting on Monsters/Dice have me filling out applications (time consuming :\) and submit an application to a system rather than an actual email.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Craigslist in my area is better than Monster. Dice always has a lot of job postings but I haven't had any luck with landing an interview from Dice.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Indeed and Craigslist are favorites for me. I find it amusing that having my resume on Careerbuilder gets me calls. I hate their web site, but I guess the recruiters like it.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have by far had the most luck with Monster. I also put my resume out on clearancejobs.com and I am getting a lot of calls through that, although I am not looking for a full time gig. Just looking for a part time/weekend cleared position. Looks like I may have found one finally.
  • ABNNBCABNNBC Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Indeed is indeed the best job search engine IMO, no pun intended. Monster is like a spam mailing list for a bunch of work at home schemes. Dice is ok, but not as comprehensive as Indeed
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I think if you join IEEE, they have a job board as well, but it may be powered by one of your aforementioned job boards.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HR got my resume off Dice for my current job. Monster gets me calls also. I think if you change a letter here or there or add a letter and save it, it refreshes your profile and marks you as more current in searches ?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dice (last job) and career builder (this job) have worked out well for me in the past. Craigslist here isn't really up to par with other places.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Craigslist is not the best where I lived. I did get several contacts through Monster, The Ladders and our state site. Never tried Dice and never got calls from Career Builder.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    I've had success with Monster, Dice, and Careerbuilder (I think)

Never tried Craigslist.

^^ This, and pretty much in that order too.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    usually, when I update my resume on Dice or Monsters, I'll get lots of calls, but all from recruiters. They ask me to come in for interviews, leading me to believe they have a position available, only to find out they're just adding to their database
  • wargamer6wargamer6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Craigslist has been terrible for me; nothing but silence or spammers.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    <snip>...They ask me to come in for interviews, leading me to believe they have a position available, only to find out they're just adding to their database

Whenever I've worked with recruiters I've always been up front about only interviewing with the clients. I've never gotten any flak for that, I've had a few not get back to me but the way I look at it those are the ones I don't want to work with.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've landed this current job (and love it!) via Monster.com. I gave craigslist a try but I find most of the time the postings are fake, usually someone trying to phish you or something or trick you into providing PII. I applied for a job on craigslist and the position required me to do some "IQ" test. They claimed their site was "secure" yet they want me to submit all kinds of information like my social security number and all of this is over plaintext HTTP. They wanted me to have a credit check done on some really weird website... Uh, yeah... Not good at all
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    careerbuilder is THEE worst. every once in a while, i'd see a real posting, but usually its all junk. plus i get a ton of spam emails from them. Monster is ok, had some success with them in the past. Craigslist is ok, when you can sort out with jobs is real & which are bogus. Dice is meh. Indeed is where its at...best search site hands down. It not only searches the search sites, but also company sites.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I learned to avoid Monster and Career builder since all it brought me were headhunters. Dice often has very little entry-mid level stuff....and recruiters camp out there too.

Found it better to just use Craigslist + scout out websites of colleges, hospitals, banks and various levels of government for work. Businesses are using CL more because it's cheap and easier to post something.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Craigslist in my area is very active and the best interviews/jobs I've taken have come from there.

I know it's not very good in like 95% of the country though.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    I have used monster.com and that got me the job that I am in now. I am happy :D You should apply to everything and just hope for the best. Only submit your resume.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Craigslist then mostly indeed for me. I am so tired of job posting that make you fill out a HUGE application just to apply. Hour latter and you have no idea if they will call you or your application will be lost in the pile.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the forums on Dice, its good for a laugh
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Craigslist and Indeed are the ones that I like to go to. I received emails/phone calls/interview using these two sites. If I remember correctly, I found my new employer/position using Craigslist.
    :study: Life+
  • over9000over9000 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Believe it or not, I've gotten the most calls from Careerbuilder in my area. I've applied to stuff on craigslist and Monster, but it's mostly spam.