Options

Whats the best router to use for my internet connection?

Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
Before you answer with 2514!!! please read about my internet connection.

I have a fiber optic connection straight to my house. It is 100 mbps. The fiber goes into an access unit and goes out as ethernet to my switching hub, then to my pcs and xbox.

So, I dont want to use 2514 because its only 10 mbps. What do you suggest? If possible, I would even like to replace the existing access device with a cisco device that has a fiber interface. But I dont want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on this, either.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, that's an insane Link icon_eek.gif

I guess you could pick up a Cisco 2600 series router and equip it with FE-Interfaces. Not quite sure though.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    wow, I want to live in Japan :D

I would just get a 3620 (I beleiev that the 3620 is the lowest end model that you can get a FA WIC or NM for, Im not 100% sure though, I know you cant with the 2600 series, Ive tried) and 2 one port FA modules, or a 2621. You probably don't want to replace the ISP's gear with your own.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Yeah, and the best thing is, it costs the same as a measly 1.5 dsl connection in America, 60 bucks a month. And because its fiber, its 100 up and down!

Anyway, if i dont replace the isps gear, then i dont need a fiber interface.

So, then, what should I do? What would have a 100 mbps interface that could be used after the isp gear?
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    I would just get a 3620 (I beleiev that the 3620 is the lowest end model that you can get a FA WIC or NM for, Im not 100% sure though, I know you cant with the 2600 series, Ive tried) and 2 one port FA modules, or a 2621. You probably don't want to replace the ISP's gear with your own.

FA is FastEthernet, also FE.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p