RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF on same router

solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
hi
I have on one router 3 different LANs, and each of them different routing protocols, one RIP, second EIGRP, and the third OSPF, is it possible it should advertise all 3 LANs, or will it use only EIGRP with AD 90????

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why don't you use redistribution?
  • solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
    Why don't you use redistribution?
    will redistribution work with all routing protocols? i tought its working only with EIGRP and the AD will become 170,

where can i get the configuration for it?

thanks
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are going to have to redistribute the routes from each routing protcol into the other routing protocols. Be very careful if there are other downstream routers because you are going to get into a situation of route feedback and it seems like this is going to cause you trouble beyond what you are prepared to handle.
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not being too familiar with route feedback I went a googling...

I found this vid - while advanced for CCNA I found it informative

CCIE Route Redistribution Demystified

Start at roughly 34mins in to get a feel of a larger internetwork running different protocols

Nate
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    solnsusie wrote: »
    hi
    I have on one router 3 different LANs, and each of them different routing protocols, one RIP, second EIGRP, and the third OSPF, is it possible it should advertise all 3 LANs, or will it use only EIGRP with AD 90????

It all depends on what your goals are. You certainly can advertise all networks into all three routing protocols, but that will only get you so far. For example, while you can advertise your RIP and EIGRP interfaces into OSPF, the OSPF domains won't automatically get the routes from your EIGRP and RIP domains, you have to redistribute into them.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    If there is only a single router in your network why not move the networks to a single routing protocol?

Of course if multiple routers are effects then redistributation might be a bit simplier as long as it's planned out right.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
    It all depends on what your goals are. You certainly can advertise all networks into all three routing protocols, but that will only get you so far. For example, while you can advertise your RIP and EIGRP interfaces into OSPF, the OSPF domains won't automatically get the routes from your EIGRP and RIP domains, you have to redistribute into them.
    i have 4 large networks, two running RIP, one running EIGRP, one is running OSPF, I connected all of them with frame relay, and I wanted all should be connected with point to point DLCI's, and the frame relay is in a fifth network, running RIP, so I redistributed all routing protocols into RIP, and RIP into the other routing protocols, and and its working beautifully, i can ping every device in every network to any device in any other network, is this the way how it should work?
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No connectivity issues is a good thing. Do some traceroutes to make sure your traffic is going the directions you want it, and keep an eye on the routing tables for a while to see that routes aren't flapping and you should be set. I encourage you to go over the redistribution material in the Route exam and/or Routing TCP/IP Volume I, you may not need it right this minute but it is likely you will need to take a proactive approach to managing the redistribution between the routing protocols at some point.