*** PROBLEM SOLVED *** BIOS Problems

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
My sons computer is having some sort of problem. He is running Windows XP.

When you turn on the computer it go to the BIOS screen automatically. I turn ot off then on and it goes to the BIOS screen automatically again. It will not boot but rather goes to the BIOS screen.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get off the BIOS screen so the computer will boot properly.
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    any messages beofre it goes to bios screen, like date and time not set, press F1 to continue?

First guess would be that the CMOS battery died, when it goes into bios just exit, dont power cycle the PC and it should boot.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    unplug the keyboard and turn it on, see if the symptoms change. You may have a bad keyboard or stuck del keycode. Anything else should hang with a message on the screen and wait for you to do something before going straight to the BIOS setup.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    no error message at all.....
    it will not go past the BIOS screen.....
    i removed the battery for about 2 hours and it did not help.....
    i tried the keyboard thing and that didn't work.....

This one really has me stumped. About the only thing I can think of doing is replace the mobo.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried setting the BIOS to the Default Settings?
    Have you tried setting the BIOS to the Default Settings?

Sorry, just saw that you said you remved the battery for about 2 hours so.....that should have set it to the default settings.

See if there is a BIOS update for that mobo or just flash the current BIOS back on.

Who is the manufacturer and model?
    mobo = AUS A7A133

How do I flash the BIOS?
    One time it said something about the CPU changing and that is why it went to the BIOS screen. However I did not change the CPU or anything else.
    This link will carry to the BIOS releases for that mobo..... there is also a link on that page for instructions on how to flash your BIOS. (on the left hand side)
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I think I would stay away from the BETA update.... just get the version 1012.
    This link will carry to the BIOS releases for that mobo..... there is also a link on that page for instructions on how to flash your BIOS. (on the left hand side)
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I think I would stay away from the BETA update.... just get the version 1012.

that link didn't work as planned. just type in a7a133 in the search field of that link.(top left hand side of the page). Then from there choose your model and then click the bios tab and you will see the releases.
    Gotcha thanks. I will give this a try tonight.
    correct me if i am wrong - doesn't the computer have to get past the BIOS screen to flash the BIOS?

Ican't get past the BIOS screen. It automatically goes right into the BIOS set-up screen.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    At best buy i see alot of emachines do that if the modem is fried from a surge? We remove the modem and the computer boots fine. (very odd) Or it Sounds like possible corruption in your Bios Chip!
    Did you install any new hardware lately?
    Try a Different keyboard and mouse also like they said above
    Good luck :D
    OK- I already tried a different keyboard and mouse.

I will try a different Power Supply and also remove the modem.

I have not installed anything new lately.
    jescab wrote:
    correct me if i am wrong - doesn't the computer have to get past the BIOS screen to flash the BIOS?

Ican't get past the BIOS screen. It automatically goes right into the BIOS set-up screen.

Yes, you will needto be able to boot if you use AFLASH.EXE to update the BIOS. But, your BIOS has a utility built into it called EZ Flash. You can access this by pressing Alt + F2 during POST.

You can get complete instructions for this on that link I posted for you or try this link. (Hopefully it will carry you straght to the instructions). The instructions for using EZ Flash are near the bottom of the page.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us
    jescab wrote:

Yes, you will needto be able to boot if you use AFLASH.EXE to update the BIOS. But, your BIOS has a utility built into it called EZ Flash. You can access this by pressing Alt + F2 during POST.

You can get complete instructions for this on that link I posted for you or try this link. (Hopefully it will carry you straght to the instructions). The instructions for using EZ Flash are near the bottom of the page.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

Apparently the Asus links don't like to be copied and pasted. Choose the top choice and scroll down until you see the instructions for using EZ Flash.
  • elathropelathrop Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Before I did anything too complicated, if that battery has a few years on it , I would change it. I know, it sounds stupid, but I have seen on a couple of occasions, PC's that wouldn't boot; replacing the CMOS battery repaired them.
    I know it doesn't sound right and you won't find a question referring to it on a Comp TIA exam but a dead CMOS battery will prevent some computer models from booting. Maybe a CR2032 is in there?
    Webmaster for calendardaze.com ezcalculator.com and digitizedvideo.com
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    At best buy i see alot of emachines do that if the modem is fried from a surge? We remove the modem and the computer boots fine.

Yeah, we have that problem with e-machines too and Packard Bell`s, the modems stops post of just goes into the BIOS and locks up.
    ***** PROBLEM SOLVED *****

I replaced the power supply and it works fine now.
    You may want to check your power supply icon_wink.gif

Good to hear that you got it fixed without having to replace that mobo.