Exam Simulation question

jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all
Here's the question,
Say I'm doing a simulator that asks me to add users to the AD.
I think of many way to achieve this,
Command line using DS,
Start, administative tools, ad users and comp.
Start, run, mmc, add snap inn for users and comps.
Although they all give me the same results will I get marked less for using a certain method?
I hope I don't sound stupid in asking this but all I ever get told is do it microsofts way. They all technically are because it's part of the OS.

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I dont remember 290 having any simulations, but when simulations do pop up, the console you need to use to get anything done is already opened for you.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    The 290 does indeed have simulations. As mentioned by MrAgent, the required console will be already opened on screen, and let's just say that Microsoft have been as helpful as they can be to the test taker.

There is a video on the MS website outlining taking an exam, and it is indicated on that video that the end result is what counts, not how it was achieved (although the previous point means that this is not an issue).
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ussually if the test wants you to do something a certain way, the others ways of doing it are not possible. I.E. they disable everything except a command prompt.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    290 had simulations when I took it.

I've never seen a command line in a simulation. Simulations usually will bring your right were you need to be. So for your example of adding a user, they would already have you in the ADUC tool. They also don't let you stray too far off the path. So when in doubt, just poke around and see what they have given you access to. If something has been disabled, then it obviously isn't the answer.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. That makes it spo much more clear.
    I thought I'd would load a desktop screen and something on right telling you what you need to accomplish.
    I didnt have a clue it would actually have the consoles loaded.
    Sounds easy but I'm sure microsoft will have some awkward ones.
  • noflyingcarsnoflyingcars Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Two questions guys:

- do I need to learn how to do stuff with the command prompt even when there's a perfectly good way to do it with a GUI? For example, if I have to create an OU will I be asked to do it from Active Directory console (that would be easy) or from the Command Prompt? (that would be much harder)?
    I understand you probably can't tell for sure, but if you think getting a command prompt question is just "unlikely" it would be helpful to know.

- what if you click the wrong thing, do you immediately fail or will it let you click around as much as you want?
    For example, if I have to set up a lockout policy and I forgot the exact location, can I just start expanding things until I find it?

thanks in advance
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Read the previous posts for an answer to your first question.

In answer to your second question, iirc there will be a reset button, so you can start fresh.
  • noflyingcarsnoflyingcars Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    KenC wrote: »
    Read the previous posts for an answer to your first question.

I read the thread before posting, one user talked about the command prompt (but maybe it was just an example), another user said he did not see any.
    I was asking for some more experiences :)