Options

EX2200 console cable - like Cisco?

wasatchbillwasatchbill Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi-
I bought an EX2200 switch on ebay; it arrived with no console cable or RJ45-DB9 adapter. Can anyone confirm if a Cisco console cable (either the RJ45 to DB9 "Cisco console cables" that are on Amazon for less than $5, or a rollover cable and standard RJ45-DB9 adapter), would work?
The console port pinouts look similar, but not exactly the same.

EX2200 console port pinout:
Console Port Connector Pinout Information for an EX Series Switch - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks
EX2200 hardware docs (mentions a mini-usb console port for EX2200-C, but mine is not a "C")
EX2200 Hardware Documentation - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks
pin 7 is CD, Data Carrier Detect

Cisco console port pinout:
Auxiliary Port, Console Port, And Adapter Pinouts For Cisco 1000, 1600, 2500, 2600, And 3600 Series Routers - Cisco Systems
pin 7 is DSR, Data Set Ready here: Serial port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My understanding is that I would also need a USB to DB9 adapter for my Windows 7 laptop. Seems like alot of adapters, when the console port is RJ45, and there is an RJ45 port (ethernet only evidently) on the laptop; any other workarounds to get a serial connection into the RJ45 on a newer laptop? I'd be happy to make whatever pinout was needed on a cat5 cable. I have some old PCs somewhere with DB9 adapters, so that is not a big issue.

Frustrating to get the switch and not be able to get in to it! I tried telnetting to the management ethernet, guessing 192.168.1.1, but no luck. Sounds like the USB port is for adding or saving releases and configs, not console access.

Thanks-
Bill

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Hey Bill,

Just use a straight through cable with the adapters. I believe that the switch auto senses if the cable is rolled or not. Either that or the rolling is happening in the DB9 adapter I'm using for my EX switches.

So you're looking at USB-DB9 adapter to DB9 and plug in the straight through cable from the DB9 to the console port on the switch.

HTH
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Seems like alot of adapters, when the console port is RJ45, and there is an RJ45 port (ethernet only evidently) on the laptop; any other workarounds to get a serial connection into the RJ45 on a newer laptop? I'd be happy to make whatever pinout was needed on a cat5 cable. I have some old PCs somewhere with DB9 adapters, so that is not a big issue.
    It may have the same physical plug/socket but it is a completely different electrical standard and protocol. RJ45 is a Registered Jack standard and used by many different things.

Your best bet is to just buy the USB adapter. You could buy something which allows you to access a serial device via ethernet but for your purposes it is overkill and more of a hassle to use.

If you want to then you can buy something like this adapter where you wire it up yourself then just use a regular straight through patch cable. Laptop <--> USB serial adapter <--> DB9 to RJ45 adapter <--> Patch lead <--> Switch.