Passed CAP

natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed (ISC)2 CAP exam. Back to the drawing board to take CISSP exam in December.

Has anyone taken the CISSP and CISM exam? Which one was more challenging and rewarding?
MBA: Information Systems (2008)
BS: Management Information Systems (2006)

Comments

• whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on pass!

Sorry haven't taken either of those certs, but keep hearing how the CISSP is quite valuable!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    what did you use to study for the CAP?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I purchased the 2011 FISMA Authorization Process Guide by James P. Litchko. I also purchused his sample questions and answers. By far one of my better purchases. His guide is an excellent resource for anyone pursuing the (ISC)2 CAP certification.
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    Just passed (ISC)2 CAP exam. Back to the drawing board to take CISSP exam in December.

Has anyone taken the CISSP and CISM exam? Which one was more challenging and rewarding?

In comparison, I feel that the CISSP was the more difficult of the two exams. As the NDA for both (ISC)2 and ISACA prevent discussing the exam material directly, I can only speak in generalities:

1) The CISSP exam (frequently) requires solid knowledge and understanding of the technical aspects of information security (Network/telecommunications and crypto being notable domains in this respect)
    2) The CISM exam is more focused on problem analysis and business related aspects of information security (Befitting a credential that is focused towards mid-to-senior level management, so there is less emphasis on technical aspects of information security)

More rewarding? Debatable. You will walk away being a better information security practitioner after studying for either designations. In that respect, knowledge is its own reward. That being said, there is no harm in obtaining both designations, after all.
    Thank you for the reply. My ultimate goal is Information Security Management. I will attempt CISM after passing CISSP.
  • BishopBBishopB Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't sat for both exams but I agree w/badrottie about the CISSP. I just sat for the CISSP 3 days ago and even thou it's a bear, it's doable!! Im interested in the CAP now. Did you find it to be pretty challenging?!? How long did you study??
    I did find it challenging,like any IT certification exam that I take, but I felt prepared with the materials used for the exam:2011 FISMA Authorization Process Guide and questions & answers & ISC2 CAP studyiscope set. I studied for one month solid.