Net + or CCNA?

DrumsDrums Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got my A + and I'm still thinking about my career path. I have a help desk/deskide support background (8 years) and I've heard from another post that companies are not looking for Net +. Should I go after a cisco cert (CCNA) instead? Or would getting the Net + be an excellent baseline for going after some of the other vendor specific certs.

I was thinking about going MCSA, and A+ and Net + count as the elective (as do A+ and Security + I believe)

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say the Network+ is going to be a good baseline for you. The Network+ will get your toes wet in networking. If you seem to like the material in the Network+ and you do well on the exam, try the CCNA next. If you didn't like the material or you didn't do so hot on the exam, try the Microsoft path.

The bottom line is, focus on what you like and not what you hear from other forum postings. Specialize, but be aware and understand other technologies that you are not an expert in.
  • Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You've been doing help desk support for 8 years and just got your A+?!

As CCNA requires a better understanding of the material(subnetting); I would go for Net+ first.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Just to go against the run of play here.

If I was a hiring manager seeing you had about 8 years experience, I would be expecting you to be of N+ standard anyway and would probably disregard your need to hold this cert.

I'd go for the CCNA, or if not that confident start out with the CCENT.

I really don't think the N+ would be a good return of investment for you.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    You have plenty of experience under your belt, so try a few Network+ practice questions (subnetting in particular), starting on this site, and see you how you go. If you are doing well, skip ahead to the CCENT/CCNA path. If you are performing poorly, then you would be better served focussing on the Network+. Your experience should not warrant any more investment than a good book and some online resources.

To clarify, A+ combined with Network+ counts as one elective towards MCSA, as does Security+ (on its own).
  • DrumsDrums Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone I appreciate all the advice, don't really know why I waited so long to get certified, long story as we all have those. I'm just tired of struggling and figure getting more certs will eventually get me more money (I know I will have to pay some more dues). I think I will get my Net + and get a good foundation before tackling other vendor specific certs. The job market is so bad right now but I may be relocating soon so hopefully some doors open up.

I like anything that challenges me, databases, system admin, security, networking are all appealing choices, I just want to be in high-demand and have job security.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice, thanks again!
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Here's a list of different tracks within cisco, this should help to pick a starting point. IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • BradwmetalBradwmetal Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I debated the same. But since I planned on taking the CCNA I just did the 2 test route and took the ICND1 and ICND2. So now I have the CCENT and CCNA. I don't think the CCENT is as well known to HR people. I am job hunting now and I haven't seen anything asking for the CCENT, but I do see jobs wanting the Net+ along with a laundry list. I just applied for something today that I have most of the qualifications for and they tell me, sorry we want a CCNP. Just learn all you can in the area you enjoy. if you plan on heading the Microsoft way, take NET+, if you want to go Cisco take the CCENT then CCNA.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i just completed my CCENT, and I think having Net+ was very beneficial, and I know going into CCNA studies with Net+ and CCENT under my belt makes the CCNA seem less daunting... like now my mind state is "when I get the CCNA" instead of "can I really learn this stuff?"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why in gods name would you say you have your CCENT and your CCNA? That's like saying I have my high school diploma and a bachelors degree. You're stating you have a lesser required cert for a higher one. Like saying you have your MCTS and MCITP(win7). It doesn't make sense unless you just want it to look like you have extra certs.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mc5ully wrote: »
    Why in gods name would you say you have your CCENT and your CCNA? That's like saying I have my high school diploma and a bachelors degree. You're stating you have a lesser required cert for a higher one. Like saying you have your MCTS and MCITP(win7). It doesn't make sense unless you just want it to look like you have extra certs.

I don't understand why it bothers you tbh? Its a cert, maybe he is proud of all his cisco certs? Is there a rule on TE that says if you have you CCNA you can't also list your lower certification? Its like saying "Oh you have CCNA why do you still list your CompTIA certs?". CCENT is a seperate certification and test than the CCNA yes it is a requirement for CCNA but a seperate certification none the less. Worry about yourself mate, let others do what they want to do.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    CCNA hands down, go for the CCENT first then the CCNA much more bang for your buck. If I'm not mistaken both exams for Cisco are cheaper or close to the price of the Net+ exam. A CCNA will turn my eyes on a resume then a Net+ especially with the amount of experience you have, Net+ like A+ is very entry level.
  • DrumsDrums Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for all the advice and input, it is greatly appreciated.
  • klopasklopas Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may be bass-aackwards, but I'm going the CCNA route and I have no internetworking knowledge to speak of. I have no experience in IT. However, I am building a lab and learning hands-on as I read. It's compelling stuff and I wish I would have started earlier in my career.

In your situation (8+ years of experience), I'd recommend going for the CCNA certification right away. Net+ is an entry-level certification. From what I've read, it'll give you the foundations and fill-in some blanks. You can always get your CCNA first, then pick up Net+ to read over as an FYI (not for the cert).
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Just my $0.01 (price adjusted for inflation),

I was studying for my CCENT and finished the ICND1 book. I didn't feel completely confident, but to check my skills I went and scheduled my Network+ for the next week. I passed.

Try studying the CCENT/ICND1 material. Do some of the practice questions. If you feel okay about it, schedule your Network+. It'll give you some confidence when you go for your Cisco cert.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • BradwmetalBradwmetal Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mc5ully wrote: »

Good point. I list both on my resume with the CCNA on top. But that is only because HR People look at certifications and it is a keyword. A hiring manager probably could care less about the CCENT if you have the CCNA.