Should I go back and get A+ certification?

DiodeDiode Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I already have certification in Network+ & Security+ but I kind of want to go back and get A+ certification to complete the set. What bothers me is what I'll actually be spending just to get A+ certification with the new CE program.

$75 for 3 years + the cost of enrolling in a class and going to events = At least $300

Does this make a huge difference when it comes to employment?

Does having all 3 guarantee more pay vs just having 2?

Do I have that much more credibility having 3 vs 2?

What have you seen from personal experience :)

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Nothing will guarantee you more pay. However, more certifications that are valued by the hiring manager will get you more opportunities for interviews. You can prove your value and knowledge in the interview.

Having all three does show more credibility, but they’re usually pursued in order as A+, Network+, and Security+. If you have the A+ knowledge, a better path may be to seek a higher level certification.

However, if you have some holes in your knowledge, pursuing the A+ cert fills in the holes for you. As an example of a gap in knowledge, I’ve run across people that are unable to open Windows Explorer or launch the Command Prompt and enter some basic commands. They had serious gaps in their knowledge, but didn’t know it. Despite many interviews, they still weren’t able to land a job in IT.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author
  • DiodeDiode Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Nothing will guarantee you more pay. However, more certifications that are valued by the hiring manager will get you more opportunities for interviews. You can prove your value and knowledge in the interview.

Having all three does show more credibility, but they’re usually pursued in order as A+, Network+, and Security+. If you have the A+ knowledge, a better path may be to seek a higher level certification.

However, if you have some holes in your knowledge, pursuing the A+ cert fills in the holes for you. As an example of a gap in knowledge, I’ve run across people that are unable to open Windows Explorer or launch the Command Prompt and enter some basic commands. They had serious gaps in their knowledge, but didn’t know it. Despite many interviews, they still weren’t able to land a job in IT.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author

Darril, thanks for the advice it's appreciated very much. I see that you've written several books, that's very impressive. I'm currently pursuing a similar path to yours as I want to publish books of a similar manner (just not on comptia exams), how did you go about getting yourself published? I'm not really sure where to start. Did you write the book yourself then submitted it to a publishing company or did you contact a publishing company first with a proposal then wrote the books? How hard was it to sell your book to the publishing company? What kind of credentials did you need to get published? Is there a list of computer literature publishers for submissions?

I want to write a series of books on computer modifications, do you think it would be necessary to have A+ if I'm pursuing this route? I already have the knowledge of A+ just not the cert.

Any advice and answers to these questions that you can offer is more than appreciated. Thanks.
    Diode,

My path to publishing was long and probably too boring to post here. However, I've found that if you want to do anything, you can use these three steps:
    1. Set a goal and write it down
    2. Listen for inspiration on how to reach your goal
    3. Take action based on the inspiration
    It's simple, but it has repeatedly worked for me. All that said, I have helped others get started in publishing. If you're really serious, send me a message.

Darril Gibson
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    It couldn't hurt, right?

Just self study. Meyers + Messer is all ya need.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say yes. Some places around here won't hire you without it, regardless of experience level or other certifications.
  • DiodeDiode Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Diode,

My path to publishing was long and probably too boring to post here. However, I've found that if you want to do anything, you can use these three steps:
    1. Set a goal and write it down
    2. Listen for inspiration on how to reach your goal
    3. Take action based on the inspiration
    It's simple, but it has repeatedly worked for me. All that said, I have helped others get started in publishing. If you're really serious, send me a message.

Darril Gibson

I've been trying to send you a message for awhile now but I can't seem to find the message option on here nor your profile.
    Diode wrote: »
    I've been trying to send you a message for awhile now but I can't seem to find the message option on here nor your profile.

There are several ways. Here are a few:

Click my name or avatar to the left of this message and...
    - Click Home page and send me a message from my web site.
    - Click Send Private Message using my name (Darril) for To
    Click Private Messages (envelope icon) at the top of the page
    Via Linked In Darril Gibson | LinkedIn
    Directly via the Security Plus web site: Security Plus
    Via the CertApps site Contact CertApps Team | Get ahead with CertApps!

HTH,

Darril Gibson