Options

Seral ATA interface

AntiochmanAntiochman Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I bet that many of you, like myself, build your own computers.
One of the biggest headaches of building your computer is hard disk installation.You have acronyms like "ATA","IDE","EIDE",and "UDMA"which all refer to the same interface. Now a new interface standard has come along serial ATA.It has just seven conducter wires instead of the 80 conductor flat ribbon cables. for more info.checkout the Serial ATA Working Group.[/u]
To learn is life, living is putting to use what you have learned, death is when this process stops!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ai, the url is not working icon_sad.gif can you fix that please, I'm very interested in the details. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhh how I long for Serial ATA drives to be available. My latest and greatest is based on an ASUS P4S8X mobo.
    With Serial ATA, 2 x Ultra DMA, 8X AGP and support for RAID, USB2 and Firewire this is one cool piece of technology.
    My understanding is that Serial ATA is 5/6 times faster than UDMA 133. I guess time will tell, but with 1024 of PC2700 and a P4 2.4 the slowest thing now is read/write to the drive.
    Sources tell me that Serial ATA drives will only have a slight premium on same size 7200 equivalent.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    whoops forgot ....

http://www.serialata.org/
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    AntiochmanAntiochman Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was kind of in a hurry when I posted about the serial ATA interface, so I did not proofread the URL. Sorry about that. Thanks RussS for posting the correct URL. The good news is that the new ATA Technology is available now! If you are into the Athlon systems, there is the ASUS A7V8X motherboard and for you Intel fans there is the Abit IT7-MAX2 motherboard. Both of these boards have the new interface connectors built into the motherboards.As for drives Seagate has just released the120GB AT3120023AS and the 80GB ST380023AS which are compliant with the new standard I believe the new interface offers 150 MB/s bandwidth and this should expand to about 600MB/s by 2004.
    To learn is life, living is putting to use what you have learned, death is when this process stops!