Job @ Geek Squad

kamilkamil Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

Can anybody currently employed at Geek Squad give me any advice on how to get a job there? I applied to two stores in my area (NorthWest Chicago Suburbs) and neither one called me back :/. I think I'm failing this stupid 'personality' test. First time I did it by myself, second time I did it as the guys at some forum told me (choose only 'strongly agree' and 'strongly disagree' answers, and 'try to choose what they want to hear'). I know that many guys that are working there are not A+ certified nor have any good PC knowledge, but they GOT a job :/.

I'm A+ certified, have a lot of experience in installing/fixing PCs and networks, basically I'm a computer geek (like 90% of this forum users ;)).

Any tips? Perhaps somebody is working in store in my area and could help me out a little bit :).

I would appreciate any information (I really want to work there :) ).

Comments

• mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Well all i can say is keep contacting them! I take my employment for granit because of how easy i got in. I knew another employee that got me the job. What also helped at my interview was my A+ and Net + certification, they did not even reconize my associates degree. Well anyways getting to the point.. Most employees they hire DO NOT have any certifications or good background experience. Some have an associates degree in computers or some other wild area. HEREs A GOOD TIP! The majority of our team did not originally apply for the Geek Squad job. Therefore, they were hired for other positions or departments within best buy then TRANSFERED over. In fact in just happend this week. Best Buy gives you a great option once your hired that entitles you to switch departments or what not. So my advice is just get your foot in the door and then transfer over. Apply for the computer department because there always hiring. To be truthful i constantley work over in computers because they need my help in selling and knowledge. Other than that you should not have a problem because of your certs you have already accomplished. Good luck my friend.
  • kamilkamil Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mobri09 wrote:
    GOOD TIP! The majority of our team did not originally apply for the Geek Squad job. Therefore, they were hired for other positions or departments within best buy then TRANSFERED over.

Sounds good, but there is one problem. I am new in here and I speak with noticeable accent :/... No BB manager will want to hire sales people speaking with accent.

I think this is the only thing that keeps me from getting a job there. Sometimes I feel that this A+ exam was a waste of money - I will have to work at some crappy Jewel-Osco store anyway :).
    That's not a good start with that kind of attitude. You can do anything you put your mind to. A+ was not a waste of time or a waste of money, Alot of employers require this certification and its an excellent foundation for breaching IT field. Plus its something you worked hard to achieve. My Best Buy hires individuals with accents, I even work with a couple of them who are my friends. Give it a shot and i bet if your motivated and want it enough you will get it. :D
    Maybe you're right... I should just be more confident and put more effort into this :). Thanks for advice!
  • bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Geek Squad doesn't look for anything good. Almost anyone can walk in there and get a job. The techs that I manage SUCK. Me and 1 other person are certified. No one else is. If you want to get into Geek Squad, go for a Special Agent position, when I got there, it was worth it.
    Geek Squad doesn't look for anything good. Almost anyone can walk in there and get a job. The techs that I manage SUCK. Me and 1 other person are certified. No one else is. If you want to get into Geek Squad, go for a Special Agent position, when I got there, it was worth it.
    I know they do! I heard the only thing they can do is to install Norton Antivirus and stuff like that. No repairs at all.

I think perhaps my application is not getting thru their filtration system (I could have failed my 'personality' test) or maybe they just don't have any job openings? Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a part time position (weekday evenings + weekends) and I'm still in school.

BTW, I was just a step away from applying to Jewel-Osco :).
    Thats why its probably harder to get the job because of your availability. Put everything down as available and once your in then you can change it.
    mobri09 wrote:
    Thats why its probably harder to get the job because of your availability. Put everything down as available and once your in then you can change it.

Thank you for this tip! I will try it.

I have one more question though - how did you responded in this 20 questions personality test? Did you selected what they WANT to hear? How did you respond to some of this stupid questions, for example (I put my answers in parentheses):

- some people annoy me (strongly disagree)
    - I like to have everything planned before I start something (strongly agree)
    - I correct people when they do something wrong (strongly agree)
    - It bothers me when guilty criminals go free (strongly agree)
    - I don't like chit-chat (strongly disagree)
    - etc.
  • JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also heard from a friend that works at GS that they will pay for your A+ exams... is that true?
    I will find out tomorrow if they pay for your A+ exam, but they made a new requirment that all managers must have the A+ cert.
    that is true. Best Buy will pay for your A+ exams. You can also take A+ e-compass learning modules through the store if you an employee. They will only pay for your stuff if you are FULL TIME though. They will also pay for MCSE if you are anything higher than a Counter Intelligence Agent at the store and again, FULL TIME. And to the comment made earlier, they do repairs in the store. You have to be able to physically repair a PC. Most common errors are BSOD errors and in that case you just either reinstall the OS or use the recovery console's chkdsk. The only thing they will not repair is a motherboard issue, for that you send it to the Best Buy service center and they take care of it. The reason for this is that Best Buy doesn't sock the parts for this. It is a good job if you have the upper level skills. As a tech senior there, I was making an easy $40,000. Now I am making around $75,000 as a special agent. So yeah, go for it.
    ah yes, and I also wanted to make note of yet another previous post. The only thing that A+ is good for is getting your foot in the door(somehow). I personally would use it as a dartboard. Seriously, A+ is not worth **** otherwise. And think about it. What is the passing score for the A+ exam? it is almost a failing grade. And not to mention that there are way too many people out there with it. If you want to get ahead, do not stop at A+, for real. Some things that are big right now are storage networking, VoIP, wireless, security, and biomedical software(for all you programmers out there) So, with that said, some certs that I can recommend to get you into nice employer shape are CCNA, CWNA, Network+, SSCP/Security+, and MCSA. Then from there go into the more advanced stuff. But you are on the right track. Get stuff like that and Geek Squad can't turn you down. That is of course assuming you want a REAL job on Geek Squad, like a Double or Special Agent. Tech senior is great and all, but WHOA, customers are ASSHOLES! Watch out for that position if it ever decides to drag you in. Best of luck to you!
    Of course I don't want to stop at A+ level. A+ is entry-level cert that basically states that I know at least *something* about computers. I should start working on Network+ soon. Then, who knows, maybe I will do CCNA (although it's hard to pass a test when you didn't actually see a Cisco router in your whole life!).

I want to go into network security or something like this. Programming is good too, but too many jobs are being outsourced overseas :/.
    Nice career choice, security is where I am headed. I am working on my CISSP and LPT with CCIE security soon to follow.
    Ok, so far I applied to four stores... I will see if at least one will call me back :). If not - well, I would have to look for some less ambitious job :>.
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    kamil wrote:
    Ok, so far I applied to four stores... I will see if at least one will call me back :). If not - well, I would have to look for some less ambitious job :>.

Is Best Buy/ Geek Squad THE ONLY computer store in Chicago? .. icon_eek.gif

Have you tried a local shop?

How about CompUSA?

Speaking of, I found this w/ a quick search & it requires A+ cert!
    http://jobsearch.compusa.careers.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=34582655&AVSDM=2005%2D09%2D22+09%3A20%3A55&Logo=0&col=dltj&brd=1839&lid=417

Try Monster.com, Dice.com, computerjobs.com, etc!

If BB/GS don't want you, forget them! icon_twisted.gif
    I'm sure you can at least find a temp contract for some exp. in IT.
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
    jacev1 wrote:
    Is Best Buy/ Geek Squad THE ONLY computer store in Chicago? .. icon_eek.gif

NO! There is a LOT of computer-releated jobs in Chicago, but I don't live in Chicago :). I live in Carpentersville, which is in Northwest Suburs. I applied to company named 'Woodfield Group' from Elgin and they called me back after two days :]. I mean, a lady from HR left a message, and from that time I'm trying to catch her :].

This job in Naperville would be nice, but: http://tinyurl.com/aulhj :).
  • wootwootwootwoot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What kind of money does the geek squad pay its employees?
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I used to work at CompUSA tech shop. Started you off with about $9 an hour. For them you must be A+ certified. Was not terrible hard to get hired.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Chivalry1 wrote:
    I used to work at CompUSA tech shop. Started you off with about $9 an hour. For them you must be A+ certified. Was not terrible hard to get hired.

I use to work there also. I can still remember some GEEK walking up to the counter and saying "Where do I apply for a job? I just passed my MCSE" He was a geek, acting like he was a bad ass, HA. I have come ALONG ways since then..
  • wootwootwootwoot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote:

Ahhh nevermind then, I thought I could go there until I found something better but I have a degree and a few certs, thx for the info.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    They only required 1 cert, A+. A degree was not required. Most of the individuals I worked with only had a A+. Most, like myself, were just doing it as a side job.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    Hurray! I just got call from the Circuit City and I will have interview this tuesday @ 5:30 pm :D. I hope I will get this job :P.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do they administer a "geek test" to work for geek squad ?
    do you have to list the role-playing conferences you've attended on the app ? (along with preferred character)?
    rm -rf /
    Congrats and good luck! :D
    YUPPI! Quote: 'Basically, you are hired!' :). They said that they'll call me because I may need to take a drug test, etc. I think they should probably call me today or tomorrow :). Btw I didn't have to talk to the store manager, instead I had a quick interview with Computer Technology Manager, who was really a cool guy so he talked with his boss about me :).

Circuit City r0x :D
    Well congrats on your hard work. It looks like your in. Just remember to keep studying and keep your head up. Take care and good luck my friend! :D
  • unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I ever apply for a job at Geek Squad I'll make sure to dress up like Lt Worf and address the interviewer as "Captain".
    yeh i bet that would work icon_rolleyes.gif