My Voice Lab - Suggestions?

I have two 2621XM routers (for remote site sim)that are running with 32MB/16MB that I am going to run c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin with CME 7.1 so I am upgrading them both to 128MB/48MB. In addition I am going to purchase an AIM-CUE module and load that up with Unity Express 7.1 to be installed in one router. I will also be purchasing an NM-V2 with FXS/FXO cards and I already have two 7906 IP Phones, an analog phone and a MagicJack that I will use for my PSTN connection. I also have VWIC cards that I can get for free to configure but of course I don't have a real T1 to attach to them. :)

Does anyone have a suggestion for my lab? I've been studying the Cisco Press book for the 640-460 exam and have already pre-ordered the new 640-461 book coming out in a week. I have been labbing with Packet tracer 5.3 but there's a lot I can't do in there so I've been putting all of this together. Now that CM is going to be tested in the new exam, has anyone setup a lab for that component that they can provide guidance on? I do have VMWare Workstation to run it virtually if that's what is generally done.

Thanks guys!
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Finally got my DRAM and Flash today so now running at 128MB and 48MB respectively. Loading up c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin now and will be setting up the boot portion of my lab shortly. I have the NM-V2 card with FXS/FXO cards set to arrive between now and the 20th according to eBay and I have some PVDM2-48s I can borrow from work that I will be bringing home. I've got the firmware files for the 7906 phones and I have IPC so I should be able to get this all setup very soon! :)

Oh, and the AIM-CUE I bought is set to arrive on Monday so I'll be able to lab that shortly thereafter. The new book is set to arrive the day afterwards so I'll be reading and re-reading some parts of that book but so far I'm still on track for a end of September exam deadline. :)
    Hmmm I thought I needed to install the PVDM chip in the NM-V2 but there's no where to plug it in and the 2621XM doesn't have any PVDM slots. Does anyone know if I need to purchase a NM-HDV module or does the NM-V2 come with DSPs already?
    Well I answered my own question tonight during my Saturday night study. I now have a working Voice lab that can make internal and PSTN calls. What a great feeling it is to get that dial tone for the first time and then to make calls. :)
    I got the new Official Cert Guide for the 640-461 last night and man there is a lot in there that wasn't in the old exam. :) I'm not sure I can make my end of Sept. goal now that I gotta learn UCM & Unity as well. Oh well, not the end of the world. I'm having a lot of fun with this exam and looking forward to studying a lot more Cisco in the coming year(s).
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Have you had a chance to sit the exam? I am curious how it went. I am looking to get my voice cert as well. Just doing research right now to see what hardward I am going to need. If you have not wrote the exam yet good luck!!!!
  • mikezmikez Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how is the 2621XM? i'm looking that the 2651xm but not sure if i should go for it or not. I'm really not sure if I need it...i also want to get an AIM-CUE but they are quite expensive...where did you get yours from?
    I did sit and pass the exam a couple of weeks ago, ty for asking! After taking so many microsoft exams this was a nice change of pace.

I passed without lab'ing cucm 8 because the new 640-461 had everything I neefed. The focus on this exam is still the small business cucme product so be comfortable there.

You can get by with the 2621 as the 2651 just allows more phones which you won't need in a lab. U don't need the aim cue but it was nice to have to be confident on what to do in the field.

I'm going to resell mine on ebay as I only bought it to lab with. Paid $ 365 for it which is too much to keep it imp.

Hope this helps!