Options

Remote Desktop outside the network.

scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I feel like I've been to hell and back trying to figure out why I can't connect to my computer at work (winxp pro) from my computer at home (winxp pro also). I set the server at work as an RAS (on server 2000) and set everything on it up by the book. I then proceeded to login to the router and open the ports (3389, 1723, 370 'the one I made for remote web connection to go through'). I tested it at work and everything worked perfectly, I used IE to log in to the computer. But when I got home, I tried to log in and BAM, it said "page cannot be displayed", so I tried to set up a VPN connection to the static IP at the office server, and it wouldn't connect, so the next day I went to the office, and connected from one of the client computers just fine. (P.S. I set my home router the same as the office). I also tried a remote DESKTOP connection from home to the comp at the office, and STILL no dice. I run through a different ISP at home than I do at work, but I called both of them and they told me they are not blocking the ports. I then asked one of the techs if they've had any problems, and they said no, we have customers doing the same thing, and it works just fine. So the problem doesnt lye in the equipment, the ISP's, the setup, or the security; so what the hell could it be then?

Any help would be mosterously appreciated. Thank you.
"If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea

Comments

• Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sounds like you've still got a tcp/ip reachability problem on the router or firewall.
    use something like nmap to scan the remote ip address to find out what's actually open.... or not open.
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    thanks for the idea, I'll try that.
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you set port forwarding correctly? That is usually the issue I see when remote access is not working.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    yeah I'm forwarding all the ports I need for TCP/IP, Remote Desktop, internet, and my port 370.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, thats a good start.
    Now another question ..... do you have NAT running? If so, why - and what is there. Many times I find turning that off is a distinct bonus when trying to set up port forwarding.
    Also, why the 3 ports? How do you have them configured?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007