Question regarding ITL cert

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Would a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology and Administrative management plus having an ITIL certification qualify me more for an IT management position?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes it would but IMO you are very far from getting such a position considering you are just a month into your IT career.

Think of IT as the present and the next 1-2 years. Think of any further than that and you'll realise that you need to adjust your degree/cert goals according to the job you are doing/want next.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, it won't. You need experience. Without it you will not be able to make good decisions.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    By september I will have 4 months of IT professional experience and 6 months of IT volunteer experience.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would think more along the lines of 2-3 years.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Are there opportunities for you to progress in your current organisation? If so, you will probably achieve promotion based on your work record more so than any qualifications you get.

If you're looking to apply for management positions, a qualification might get you into the interview. Once you get to the interview, you will need to back up your qualification by demonstrating relevant experience too.

I'd say you should study because you love something and are keen to learn more, not just to get a job.

Claire
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    get the itil foundations done at the least and then go knock out comptia network+ and maybe a microsoft cert or two and possibly CCENT after your network+.... that would help you on your path to an IT job. also if you go the network route it would in my opinion be a better route, unless you do the microsoft server/AD route... desktop support sucks even in a management role (i am a network engineer for the DoD and was recently forced back into the help desk role as a manager due to the dod cutbacks and my old position going away).

to get a foot in the door with your degrees and only the ITIL cert it would be an analyst or manager role which would benefit you in the long run (pay and work place enjoyment wise) .... look at internships or even short term contract work. I got my foot in the door via an internship and managed to get the government to pay for my masters degree as well. ..... nowadays degrees and certs are important as well as multitasking and taking on multiple roles (1 guy doing the work that 2-3 would have done a few years ago). with your degrees use that to your advantage.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    get the itil foundations done at the least and then go knock out comptia network+ and maybe a microsoft cert or two and possibly CCENT after your network+.... that would help you on your path to an IT job. also if you go the network route it would in my opinion be a better route, unless you do the microsoft server/AD route... desktop support sucks even in a management role (i am a network engineer for the DoD and was recently forced back into the help desk role as a manager due to the dod cutbacks and my old position going away).

to get a foot in the door with your degrees and only the ITIL cert it would be an analyst or manager role which would benefit you in the long run (pay and work place enjoyment wise) .... look at internships or even short term contract work. I got my foot in the door via an internship and managed to get the government to pay for my masters degree as well. ..... nowadays degrees and certs are important as well as multitasking and taking on multiple roles (1 guy doing the work that 2-3 would have done a few years ago). with your degrees use that to your advantage.

Thought I might want to update this thread. After working as Desktop Technician 1 for 4 months, I was promoted to Help Desk Tier 1, which is more on the technical side of things. :) I am not sure if I even need to get the ITL cerification. Anyways, This thread is going to be closed hopefully and deleted. Good day.